Torrent terms?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mala, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

What is port forwarding, please?
    What's the difference between UDP and TCP Port Numbers, what do they do, and which needs to be set to what?
    Is an AirPort Express a router?
    Why is Azureus so userunfriendly?

2. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Are you having slow transfer rates? You don't usually need to know what any of that means as long as you use the setup wizard that launches the first time you use azureus. Basically all you need to get right is your connection speed :) If you are behind a firewall, then you do need to worry about those terms. Also, consider that with Bittorrent, slow transfer rates are usually related to lack of peers to download from.

3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Floyde - I'm getting yellow faces all the time, and a lot of files are coming in with errors.

When I click the Test button in the Configuration Wizard in Azureus, it *always* says there's a NAT error (oh, wait, no, sometimes it says there's no such port).

4. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Ussualy we dont dicuss thing about piracy on MR. Just keep these dicustion on other forum.

PS: if you use Torrent for legal stuff ignore this post (but who really use BitTorrent for legal stuff anyway....)

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

try tomato torrent. it's very simple and ive never had any issues with it in the default config. plus it's a lot more lightweight than azureus i think.

6. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

homerjward, thank you, I'll take a look. Not sure if it's allowed by the only place I download, a site with Asian movies that you can't get in my neck of the woods.

Ringo, thank you. I think quite a lot of people use torrents for things other than piracy, in fact.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's when you tell your router "send all incoming traffic to port XXX to my computer on port XXX". It is necessary to get anything resembling decent BitTorrent speeds from behind a router, and if you're using an Airport you'll probably need to be doing this (though I can't tell you how), because...

Yes.

Because it's a big, geeky, every-feature-under-the-sun open source app. If you want a simpler client, the standard client or Tomato Torrent are both acceptable, though I'd suggest the latter.

And there are plenty of non-illegal BT uses these days. Crooks and Liars now has most of their media on BT to ease the server load, and I also use it to get grey-area videos that aren't licenced for distribution in my country at all.

8. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Nothing he said indicated anything about piracy. Bittorrent in and of itself is not illegal or frowned upon by this site.

9. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, thanks, Makosuke.

When I installed the AirPort (with the help of Apple), I wrote down its IP address and other information.

Should I use this information in setting up Azureus, and if so, how, please?

I phoned my ISP, who provide me with broadband through an antenna on the roof beaming in my connection from across the city, and a helpful techie there explained that my NAT errors were coming from the AirPort.

Then I phoned the Apple helpdesk, and got a *very ill-tempered* guy who was clearly delighted not to help, and blamed Azureus. He said that if Azureus was the only program that announced NAT errors, it was clearly the only program that *had* NAT errors.

Incidentally, if I could find the programme referred to in ths this article:

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/618188

on a torrent, subtitled, I'd be very interested in watching it. What an insight into cultures that are different from my own!

10. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way, this seems to be a very common problem. A Google search found 700-odd references to it (but no solutions, that I could see).

11. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

That's why i added this post scriptum. :)

And usually problem with bittorrent app come from a router whose port are not forwarded. If i remmember well their about 4-5 port you need to forward dependin on witch app you use. Look on the offical forum or faq for the app you use they should talk about witch one you need to foward and how to do it.

12. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

The recommended ports are 6881 to 6889, but forwarding them on the router (which I assume means going to Confiture Ports in the AirPort Admin Utility?) doesn't make any difference; I still get NAT errors in Azureus, and still no green smiley faces.

13. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

So far I've tried adding to both Public and Private ports in AirPort Admin Utility, using ports 6881 to 6889.

Then I went to System Prefs/Sharing/Firewalls and made this range of ports an exception by adding them and giving them a name.

Then I went to Azureus and tried each of these ports in succession, and each one gave me a NAT error.

I tried the same thing with various port numbers that people recommended.

None of this worked.

It seems odd that there isn't (as far as I can find) anywhere on the net, including in SourceForge's own site, a screen-by-screen description of how to set up an AirPort to deal with Azureus - and maybe a D-Link, which seems to be the other most common Mac router.

14. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Finally solved this, by changing the *Private IP Number* setting in AirPort Admin Utility, to read

for any port I wanted to use - 6882, 6883, etc.

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    The best way to set this up using Azureus:
    1. log into router and go to port forwading.
    2. choose the INTERNAL IP address of the machine you are using Azureus on and the port 6885 (I use a widget called NET STAT to find the internal)
    3. Go to System PRefs>Sharing and create a new rule and open port 6885
    4. Go to the preferences of Azureus and in the BIND TO LOCAL IP field put the INTERNAL IP ADDRESS of the machine you are using.

Azureus is not UN-user friendly. It's got a lot of features in it and it's a very strong client with many plugins and configurable preferences, unlike any other torrent app out their. It's java based and can consume a lot of CPU at times, but you get a better connection with it than any other torrent app, and you can tell exactly what's going on up/downloads.

Anyone who thinks bittorrent is used only for piracy is a fool. IT's the easiest method of distributing files with limited bandwidth. Very handy.

16. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah. Azureus. :D

18. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

ABC is pretty good. A litte bit lighter than Azureus.

19. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

OK tx!