Torrents downloading too slow! Any way to fix that?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by twistedlegato, Mar 6, 2007.

1. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

No i will not change my torrent client is what i am first saying. UNless there is a very good reason.

Im am getting about 10-20Kb/s on average, i see people saying they get 400-600KB/s.

How do i do this? I really want my torrents to download faster!

Please and thanks!!!!

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I suppose that you can find out where the seeders live, put a gun to their head and demand that they get an OC768 line installed in their house, but other than that, there's not much you can do

3. Steve.s macrumors newbie

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Guess I'd be the ass if I said to just buy whatever it is you're trying to download?
    But if not then I say you should upgrade your high speed.

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Of course there is.

It's called Port Forwarding. Chances are your OS's firewall and/or router's firewall is blocking one or more of the ports used by your torrent client.

Google it. It's only like one of the top 10 most complained about problems on the 'net. ;)

6. reubs macrumors 68000

To be fair, it is entirely possible that the OP is downloading completely legal material, such as live concerts from trade-friendly artists...but you could also be right.:)

7. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

ISP's are also using throttling technology to limit speeds on P2P traffic. Most bittorrent clients include an option to include encryption to your connections. This helps to block the throttling, and maximize your speed. You also may need to use a specific port for your ISP.

Try Googling your ISP and torrent speeds ... you'll probably find another forum where others are discussing that issue, and ways around it.

8. DA-Steve macrumors regular

d/l speeds is similar to guys talking about the size of their wang.. expect a certain degree of exageration

9. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

Actually, it's entirely possible to increase the speeds, the only thing is, it's just annoying having to do and requires a VPN.

First, go to secureix.com. Register for an account.

Open up Internet Connect, and go to the VPN section, and then input all the details required. Server Name, Account Name, and Password.

Once you've connected to the VPN you should notice an increase in speed.

I use Azureus, and don't have a problem at all, everything works fine.

My ISP used to just throttle all torrent download speeds, but with Port Forwarding and encryption, it used to bypass it. As of the end of January, they put forth methods which even port forwarding and encryption couldn't defeat, and my torrent speeds slowed to a crawl. (5k/s max).

SecureIX has been working great for me, and recommend trying it out.

If you have any questions with it, just post away, I'll try to help anyone out if they need it as I've been using this for a little while now.

Happy Downloading! (Legal stuff of course!) :p

10. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Please please remember, that some router's port forwarding won't work unless you are set up as static ip address, NOT dhcp.

Took me forever to figure that one out :)

11. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Any idea if the new Airport Extreme Base Station has that problem? My ISP (Cox HSI uses DHCP)... I'm new to Mac & expect to receive my AEBS sometime next week... I plan to use Azureus since µtorrent isn't available for Mac:(

12. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Some Bit-torrent clients are simply better at negotiating connections across firewalls than others. For example, a few months back I tried exactly the same torrent in Bits-on-Wheels, and then in Azureus. I got about 10 KB/sec in the first program, and over 100 KB/sec in Azureus. BoW simply couldn't connect to most of the peers Azureus could connect to.

I usually use Transmission. It is slightly slower than Azureus but also a very fast, light client.

13. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Everyone considering downloading Torrents of Copyrighted materials needs to watch out. My IP address was flagged for something someone in my household was sharing (via a Torrent download) by a company called BayTSP.

I complied with their letter, found the file on one of the computers, deleted it and informed them of such. I doubt since this is a single household any action will be taken, but there still is the threat.

Just be warned.

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Port Fowarding LOL how 5 years ago... any good torrent client will support UPnP. Read up on it. Another thing to do is make sure you aren't using the default BitTorrent ports. Finally make sure your upload speed isn't all of your upload, about 75% would work great.

15. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Umm... UPnP is simply an automated way for an application to request the router to set up port forwarding on a specific port or set of ports. You are still doing that :so 5 years ago: port forwarding. Both the router and the application have to be set up to use UPnP, which is frequently, for security reasons, not turned on by default.