Torrents Stop Working When Asleep?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yojimbothe3rd, Mar 30, 2007.

1. yojimbothe3rd macrumors newbie

Is there a way that I can make Azureus contiue to download torrents when my Macbook is asleep? Or do I need to disable sleep mode if I want to download torrents all night? I don't know if this is an Azureus issue or an OSx issue. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Everything gets stopped when you sleep. If you want it to carry on, you will have to disable sleep.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It's neither an Azureus nor an OS X issue, rather, it's just the reality of sleep mode. When your computer is asleep it is not connected to your network/internet.

4. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

The only difference between "asleep" and "turned off" is that the RAM is powered, preserving the state of the OS and your applications so that you can resume using your computer without booting. Your computer is otherwise completely inactive when asleep.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Also, the simple fact that an application has active processes (as Azureus would if downloading) prevents the computer from sleeping, so I don't see how this could be a problem anyway. :confused:

6. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

What i do is set it so that the screen will go to sleep by not the entire computer

7. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

No, processes don't interfere with sleep. OS X simply resumes execution when the Mac comes out of sleep.

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Uh, OK.

Some processes constitute "activity", and so the sleep option, i.e., "put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for..." doesn't apply. This is why a computer won't go to sleep when encoding video overnight, rendering an image, executing a backup, etc., and it is also why a computer won't sleep when Azureus is running (actively uploading or downloading).

9. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

In System Preferences | Energy Saver set the computer never to sleep and the display to sleep after a while.

10. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Alternatively you could just put the brightness all the way down, which is essentially off. Plus it's more immediate