Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penguinman

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
Bittorrent is my favorite application to use. It is very very simple and they just came out with a new version for 10.4 that fixes lots of bugs in the previous version. Delete Azureus asap, that is a horrible program. I view it as equal to limewire.

http://www.bittorrent.com/

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
penguinman said:
Delete Azureus asap, that is a horrible program. I view it as equal to limewire.
azureus is the most advanced bittorrent client for Mac OS X, hands down. It's not a horrible program, on the contrary, if you have a Mac with lots of RAM, it's pretty decent and has features no other client has.

As for bittorrent clients, I'm not sure if all of them can create torrents, but here's a list of some of them:

Also, beware certain BitTorrent clients - many trackers ban the likes of BitComet and others. And also, make sure your torrent works before you upload it, because it's just a hassle to find out after the fact.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2005
United States
Flowbee said:
Looks like there's a virus going around on Bittorrent. :eek:
Lol, yeah. What's with all the coughing?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

I use Transmission on my PM. Azureous just seems too slow and bloated.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
penguinman said:
Bittorrent is my favorite application to use.

Beware, Bittorrent is a severe resource hog, much worse than Azureus, even with BT's new verison. I do not recommend this client whatsoever. Simple, yes, but many users want more.

penguinman said:
Delete Azureus asap, that is a horrible program. I view it as equal to limewire.

Quite the opopsite, I'm afraid. As janey said, Azureus is the most advanced BT client for OS X and has more powerful features which no other BT client has. It is my client of choice hands down. I would recommend doing more in-depth research before making such statements, as it is obvious you simply don't have a lot of in-depth experience with these clients from an architecture/programming, feature and performance aspect. :cool:

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
~Shard~ said:
Quite the opopsite, I'm afraid. As janey said, Azureus is the most advanced BT client for OS X and has more powerful features which no other BT client has. It is my client of choice hands down. I would recommend doing more in-depth research before making such statements, as it is obvious you simply don't have a lot of in-depth experience with these clients from an architecture/programming, feature and performance aspect. :cool:
been a torrenter since 2001/2002 :D, way before all this mass hysteria. :)

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
anyone know which ones are supported on intel? Azureus currently is not supported

hows Tomato Torrent? it seems to be working...

rccola70

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2004
California
While azureus is bloated, leaks memory, and has a hidden process that runs after you close it, it is the most powerful and most feature-plentiful.

Transmission on the other hand is less powerful but has a nice interface and is extremely lightweight, taking up 1% of CPU.

I use both interchangeably depending on the situation.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
rccola70 said:
While azureus is bloated, leaks memory, and has a hidden process that runs after you close it, it is the most powerful and most feature-plentiful.

I have never seen a hidden process running before, and I check for things like that regularly - please let me know what this is, I'd like to see it in action on my machine. :)

Also, I have never once found Azureus to have a memory leak. I have it running essentially 24/7 on my Mac (sometimes it's been for over a month continuous) and I have never seen any memory leak or slowdown in my system as a result. :cool:

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
~Shard~ said:
I have never seen a hidden process running before, and I check for things like that regularly - please let me know what this is, I'd like to see it in action on my machine. :)

Also, I have never once found Azureus to have a memory leak. I have it running essentially 24/7 on my Mac (sometimes it's been for over a month continuous) and I have never seen any memory leak or slowdown in my system as a result. :cool:
in fact, it does have a hidden process, not quite hidden, but...once i was too lazy to drag and drop azureus into my Applications folder because i just needed it to grab a 1mb file - so i ran the thing from the disk image or however it comes - i couldn't unmount the image after grabbing the file because it said the disk was still in use, and i do remember kill -9ing the process.

but, it hasnt been horrible for a while, so :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
janey said:
in fact, it does have a hidden process, not quite hidden, but...once i was too lazy to drag and drop azureus into my Applications folder because i just needed it to grab a 1mb file - so i ran the thing from the disk image or however it comes - i couldn't unmount the image after grabbing the file because it said the disk was still in use, and i do remember kill -9ing the process.

but, it hasnt been horrible for a while, so :)

Cool, thanks janey good to know! You learn something new every day. :) And at any rate, this doesn't sound like a huge issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.