Torrents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aaronb, Jan 15, 2007.

1. aaronb macrumors regular

I am completely new to torrents and had a few questions.

I found a Ben Gibbard acoustic set that I would like to download and so I downloaded the torrent to my desktop. Then I downloaded Azureus and double clicked my torrent to download using the application. However, absolutely no progress is being made with the torrent and my login information on the torrent site I'm downloading from is saying I'm firewalled.

Now I know that OS X has a firewall system built in, but should I disable it to download this quicker? Or can I even disable it at all?

Sorry I'm incredibly new to this and I knew I could come here for some help with it!

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Holla

so, start by going to Sys prefs->Sharing->Firewall->Click new.

Port name-other, name it Azureus or whatever

Add the port number you want to open. AZ should tell you what the port number is in the setup wizard thingy

that's it for that.

if you're on a network on a router, then you need to forward your ports, with a static ip bla bla, snore...do some searches on here for that stuff.

Make sure you're downloading a torrent with a lot (at least 10) seeders so it'll have some speed.

good luck

For more good LEGAL concert downloads check out this site

Also, for legal downloads from public sites, try using TRANSMISSION. It's a good torrent client for beginners, (Azureus is much too confusing IMO)

3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Once you do that, make sure you have seeds. Also, make sure your download is legal.

4. aaronb thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I'm pretty sure I did it right but let me run through this.

I went to Azureus > Preferences > Connection and it told me my incoming TCP/UDP listen port is 35441. So I put that in as my TCP/UDP Port numbers for my new firewall addition. There is a check next to the Azureus firewall addition and I closed out of it.

When I tried the download again, it still has no increase in speed at all.
    Am I doing this right?

By the way, thanks for helping me out.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

yup, sounds like you did that part right..

I usually advise friends to test their Torrent set up by starting with a small file, with a ton of seeders. even if it's not something you want, it's just something for test purposes. Also, go to Azureus -> NAT/Firewall test. And click test if it says OK, then you're....ok. and it's the torrent you're trying to get.

6. aaronb thread starter macrumors regular

I gotcha. See all of this is very new to me, I don't understand what "seeding" is and what a lot of the vocabulary is.

However, Transmission is MUCH easier. But it's downloading from 0 of 0 peers and I don't know how to kind of boost that. Any ideas?

I'm downloading this from The Traders' Den if that helps in anyway.

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

(Seeders: 1, Leechers: 2, Completed: 43

see where it says that on the web page you got it from?

1 seeder aka, person giving it away

SLOW>

compare that for seeders, much better speeds

You seem to be into the same stuff I like. Go to LIVE ARCHIVE for more good stuff. non torrent, straight up normal downloads. And don't forget to check out Etree for more good live music. (LEGAL)

And before you ask, for FLAC use Xact to convert it to .WAV or .AIFF then import that into iTunes as 192 AAC's for the best compressed sound. Make sure to highlight your shows and get info to set them all as gapless. Use shorten for .SHN

enjoy

8. aaronb thread starter macrumors regular

I totally understand what you're saying. So, there's pretty much little I can do on my end about the slow download times? Because it says on my download that I'm downloading from 0 of 0 peers and I thought I'd at least get one or so.

9. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

A seeder is a person who is sharing the complete file. A leecher is a person downloading the file :)

EDIT: sorry, 0 seeds mean no one is sharing the file :( bummer

10. aaronb thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I gotcha. Well crap!
    Thanks a whole lot for the help, man, I appreciate it a lot!

What do you think would be the best thing to do? Just keep Transmission open with the torrent I want running until someone shares it?

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Yup

while you're at it, pick a torrent with seeders so you know your set up is good to go. And then just leave the other one open all night, maybe it'll connect at some point.

12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Yeah, try to keep it overnight. Sometimes the original seeder has a problem with his/her connection, or simply turned off his/her computer to go to sleep!

It'll be back up eventually

13. aaronb thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! Thanks a lot, guys, for helping me get the basics of this stuff. Hopefully something happens overnight and it'll get started!

14. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

15. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc