Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
http://www.forbes.com/2003/07/01/cx_ah_0701tentech.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...eghdgngdglj.0&comm=ST&pfam=Satellite&pmod=P25

Maybe Apple will lower their prices...
0701tentech_295x250.jpg

...then again, the Toshiba looks like an elementary school lunch tray or a left over prop from Space 1999, so maybe they won't have to! (It's even uglier that those 2-tone Dell laptops IMO!)

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Or maybe not! That computer is horribly designed and has a desktop processor in it. Meaning it's hot and has no battery life. Oh yeah and it runs windows...

You get what you pay for my friends.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
obligatory differences post

priced $1,200 less for:

-no gigabit ethernet (not a big deal yet)
-no FW800 (again, not a big deal yet)
-no backlit keyboard (minus)
-no l3 cache (big minus, as a desktop repl.)
-no BT (getting to be more of a minus)
-no wireless-g (wait and see about 'a' vs. 'g')
-no 64 mb video memory (minus)
-shorter battery life (big minus)
-40 less pixels in width (not a big deal)
-more weight (+3 lbs) (big minus)
-more width, height and depth (minus)

but gain:
-usb 2 ports (plus)
-sd card slots (a little plus)
-IR and parallel ports (not very useful anymore)
-802.11a wireless (see 'g')
-faster fsb (big plus)

anything else..?

as usual, i don't think apple should lower the price based on this "competition"...

[edit]
btw, purely out of curiosity, why would this toshiba weigh 3 lbs more than the pb? (6.8 vs. 9.9) is Al casing *that much* lighter than plastic?
[\edit]

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: obligatory differences post

Originally posted by jxyama
[edit]
btw, purely out of curiosity, why would this toshiba weigh 3 lbs more than the pb? (6.8 vs. 9.9) is Al casing *that much* lighter than plastic?
[\edit]
Win XP - it's that bloated! ;)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
it just hit me... this machine is 9.9 lbs, eh..?

i wonder how much effort was put into that spec. to make it "just under" 10 lbs. do you think the same consumer mind trick of pricing something as $9.99 instead of $10 was at work here? does 10 lbs sound so much heavier than 9.9 lbs? :D

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
actually, it's 9.9 pounds, but i don't think they included the battery!!!

(i could be wrong, of course) but the weights are separate on the specsheet.

if they didn't include the battery, add 1.41 pounds = 10.31 pounds
if they did include the battery, add 0 pounds = 9.9 pounds

EITHER way, that's a rediculus comparison to the PB 17.

Don't even get me started on battery life! that thing has an expected battery life of 2 HOURS!!! Apple's expected is 4.5 and we know it doesn't get quite that... that means that this "desktop replacement" that is "competition" can only run for about 1hr, 1.5hrs away from an outlet??? Why bother?!??!?!:mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: obligatory differences post

Originally posted by jxyama
[edit]
[\edit]
It may be because the transformer is built into the machine rather than being a separate attachment. On my old Toshiba (Satellite Pro 430), all I had to do was plug in a plug. No transformer to worry about. Of course this added bulk and weight. The travel weight is about the same.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-eric_n_dfw

The key word here is "cheap".

Back at KPMG we used to call them "Piece of Toshiba", and that was before all of the PC clones started trying to out-cheap each other (competing on price, not features/quality)

Classic get what you pay for.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
Dell those are ugly. :eek:

They look like a grill. Maybe they should add the grill handle to it as well. At least if they get as hot.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i posted a thread 2 months ago on the first 17" laptop in the pc world. it seems voodoo brought it first to the table.

iJon

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I hear it comes with a years chiropractic cover to put your neck and shoulders back together after lugging the ugly piece of crap around...;) :D

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Re: Toshiba 17" Laptop - $1200 cheaper :-/

The thing that amazes me here is how the tech press is ignoring the obvious drawbacks and areas where the PB17 is clearly superior.

Not one article mentions its weight. 10 pounds.

Not one article mentions the pathetic battery life. 2 hours.

But this is the PB17 "competitor."

I know the trade press is biased, but this is pathetic. It's bad enough they describe dual CPU macs as only one CPU, but to ignore clear design issues in a PC goes beyond biased journalism, and is out-right irresponsible.

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Besides the horrible OS, an anyone say 'FUGLEY'?

Looks like it's from the 1970's or something..

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
ewww thats a nasty piece of plastic...

Why would apple lower their prices...i dont think they are scared of that piece of shiza

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
I remember all those comments about the keyboard in the 17" PB, and I note that here, these PC's have a numeric keypad.

But is it just me, or would that be the worst thing on a notebook. My iBook is admittedly a smaller formfactor, but the keyboard is central on the notebook. And this is comfortable. It's the same on the 17" Keyboard... But these pc keyboards, the numeric pad means that the keys are scewed off to the left, and that must feel awful to type when you have it balanced on your lap?

What do you guys think? Numeric keypad, a plus or a minus on a notebook?

Nice.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by Mike Teezie
That may be the ugliest thing I have ever seen....
That is pretty ugly, but not as ugly as the pink Gateway laptop that is supposed to be in Legally Blonde 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.