Resolved Toshiba 32" LED TV HDD Compatibility

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macman45, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Macman45, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012

macrumors G5

Macman45

I recently bought the new 32" LED Smart TV for my bedroom...The manual says very little about recording, so I put a spare 500GB Hitachi 7200 in a powered caddy, having first formatted it on my Imac to MSDOS FAT

I then hooked it up to the TV, it was recognised, and the unit offered to format the drive which I allowed it to do. Attempting to record from it yields "Unrecognised File Type" error message, and the drive only write for a minute or so anyway.

I then formatted the drive to Ex FAT, but got exactly the same result. According to Toshiba's site, a drive should work as a recording device with the TV.

It's not a big deal, as I have a dedicated recorder attached to my Sony in the lounge via my Onkyo system, It's just bugging me that it won't work as it should. Anybody found a workaround? I don't want to nuy another recorder, it would just be nice to get the little caddy working and place it out of sight behind the TV.

2. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think they need to be formatted as FAT32 to work with a Toshiba TV.

Have you got (or access to) a Windows PC to format it?

3. thread starter macrumors G5

Macman45

I have a utility that does it, but got the same result....The TV itself perfoms the format, but I've now discovered that for each recording attempt, the TV creates a new partiton on the drive..:eek: I only discovered this when I reconnected the drive to my iMac....Something isn't right...It's a new 2012 model, and although there are no available updates as yet, I suspect it may be a firmware issue wit the TV... Incidentally, I tried it on my New Sony...worked perfectly, so the drive and caddy are fine.