Toshiba and Sony PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chad4Mac, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

Looks like PS3 is getting 65-nanometer:

Toshiba to Produce New Chips Toshiba Corp. said Thursday it has jointly developed with Sony Corp. technology to mass-produce customized semiconductors with 65-nanometer circuit widths. Chips made with the technology are likely to be used in Sony's next generation game console, PlayStation 3. Toshiba said it is aiming to begin sample shipments in March 2004 and mass production of the chips during the first half of the fiscal year starting April 2005. The release date for the PlayStation 3 has been a heavily guarded secret, but the output plans for the chips could indicate when the console will hit store shelves. Toshiba said it expects to begin mass production of the chips at its factory in Oita prefecture, southern Japan. The chips Toshiba plans to make are System-on-a-Chip, or SoC, semiconductors. These chips function as a system or a subsystem by including key parts of the application -- in this case, some of Sony's PlayStation 3 game console system could be mounted on the chips. In addition to logic and analog circuits, an SoC typically has a computing engine and memory components. The new Toshiba-Sony SoC has 32 megabits of on-chip dynamic access memory -- enough to be used in DVD recorders, another hot digital product.

If I'm right, this chip size is smaller than the 95-nano that IBM is suppossed to release...

Chad4Mac

2. dynamicd macrumors 6502

Isn't this codenamed "the cell?" Since the chip is really a bunch of smaller chips combined into one so that it can do incredible multitasking.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Everything I've read said late 2005/early 2006 for the PS3.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm sure that this could have extremely useful applications as a computer chip. Does that 32MB count as L2/L3 cache or something like that? I know next to nothing about chip architecture, but I do know that it is probably more complicated than I am imagining. Might the PowerPC utilize this technology by 2005/2006? Or would Apple be ditching the PowerPC like it did the 68k chip?

5. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not a game by any means, however, it is interesting that 65-nano comes into play. From reading these forms, it seems like the smaller the chip (or whatever is on it), the less energy waste. That's good for portables.

Since I only buy portables, I like to hear about these small chips...

I pretty sure apple won't jump to these chips, but I hope that they are working on something to push laptop life over the ten hour market -- that's when I'll sell my 17 PB.

Chad4Mac

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

But if you were... what kind of game would you be? RPG? Shump? Tactical?

7. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd have to say that Halo game. Jesus, I played that once in college and was hooked for days. Multiplayer mode was insane!

...I meant to say gamer.

Chad4Mac

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I figured, but had to ask!