Toshiba Fuel Cells

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AmigoMac, Jun 25, 2004.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I can see this into the G5 PB's ... :) , Let the rumor start... will it burn you? :rolleyes:

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I wish the article told you how you recharge the cell, and how much it would cost to recharge it, or replace it.

3. DarkSilver2 macrumors member

It is an interesting possibility, but I agree on the question of recharging. The heat generated could also pose a problem, but I wonder how long one of those could keep a G5 PB running?

4. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

5. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I think we'd see them in an iPod first!

"...is designed to be used in small electronic devices such as MP3 players and wireless headsets."

It's dimensions are 22mm by 56mm by 9.1mm, and it's designed to deliver 20 hours of power output. :)

click here for the full CNET article

6. Lotring macrumors newbie

hell yeah

I would definetly agree with the idea of fuel cells in PB's

7. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

so wait, to charge it you put methanol in it?! This would be great for travel but your accually using a substance to power it, Kind of like a car with gasoline.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It'll be inconvenient in a Powerbook. Imagine carrying a PB and a squirt bottle around with you. All I carry now is my PB.

And this cell would have to be much much larger to power a PB for any period of time, so carrying a large bottle may not be so convenient.

9. panphage macrumors 6502

Toshiba plans to produce a notebook version of the fuel cells before this tiny one. This is just the early-adopter stuff. What I mean is that there's really no "methanol infrastructure" at this point. I'm sure the idea is to eventually have little methanol outlets (or something like that) everywhere so you can just plug in and juice up. I'll have to remember to invest in fire extinguisher companies.

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It says it would give an MP3 player a 20 hour charge.. Which means it would give a powerbook, what? a 15 minute charge?

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The 300 mW output of the bigger cell would be enough to keep a typical notebook's HD on standby. I think this technology has a way to go yet :)

12. CompUser Guest

If this technology does become good enough to power laptops, I think cartridges would be better than a squirt bottle.

13. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fuel cells currently still fairly inefficient methods of utilizing energy when compared to other technologies in use today?

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When you inject 3.5ml of methanol into an mp3 player, say an iPod, and you use up its electricity generating abilities, what happens to the waste? Is it just water? Do you empty out the 3.5 ml of waste out? Is the waste toxic if someone were to drink it? Does this make the product unsafe for people under the age of 13 who might decide to drink it?

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The waste will be nontoxic (CO2 and water) but the methanol is a problem (and it can't be denatured in a fuel cell).

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This may be a stupid question...
    ...but why would anybody want to put a fuel cell in an iPod or Powerbook when a battery seems so much easier?

PS - aren't car companies trying to make cars with fule cells? We could just hook a diesel engine up to an iPod, that'd make it play nice and loud :D

Exactly what are fuel cells, from what I thought they were I would never imagine them in anything but cars, boats, etc.

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i think the idea behind fuel cells (which are getting very tiny- definitely intended for consumer electronics, perhaps cell phones) is that although they require a substance, if that were easy enough to get recharges, the tens or hundreds of hours of power you'd get would be far more than a battery. There is a fear that batteries will reach a size limit, beyond which they can't hold any more power per cubic inch. Since electronics require more and more power, that's a real problem.

Advanced fuel cells are being designed to run on biomatter or biowaste, including a recent fuel cell that runs on a drop of human blood (it could power electronics that test the same drop of blood, making batteries unnecessary for blood sugar testers, for instance).

But for the most part, fuel cells won't catch on until batteries start reaching real-world limits.

18. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Yeah I agree, what is the point of carrying around a little tube with methanol??? It only gives 20 hours charge..whereas a normal battery gives what 15 hours, but you can just plug it into a electrical socket and voila it gets charged. What happens if you dont have anymore methanol..then u screwed.
    Plus with the increasing prices of oil..i am sure that one of those little bottles will cost mucho monies :D :D :D :D

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

And besides, who wants to cary around a little tube of methanol, couldn't it turn into a mini bomb? Guess no more iPods on airplanes :D

20. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Methanol+Fire= Bomb
    Any other battery+Fire= Bomb

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Batteries are highly toxic, lots of lead, mercury, cadmium, etc. They're also not very efficient or long lasting. And, as has been pointed out, batteries seem to have reached the end of the line when it comes to size/power ration.

I think it'll be a few years before we see widespread adoption but I'm convinced it is the future.