Toshiba preps minute-charge 'miracle' battery

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Mar 29, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Full article.

Very impressive stuff, of no real use in the computing world right now, but they have plans for it :cool:

2. iGav macrumors G3

Whenever I here the word 'Toshiba' it's like being transported back to the 1980's. :p

Remember their annoying adverts... 'Hello Tosh got a new Toshiba' :rolleyes: :p

I always rank them with Amstrad. :eek: :p

Impressive technology though, would certainly make life easier... I've always wondered why batteries take so long to recharge. I remember back in the day it'd take 14-16 hours to 'Fast Charge' Ni-Cads... hell for mums and dads on Christmas Day after you'd flattened every battery and couldn't play with your pressies again until Boxing Day night. :eek: :rolleyes: :p

So yeah... cool tech. Crap name.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Is this the first of what I am sure will be numerous tech stories that are really April Fool's jokes? This battery seems way too good to be true...

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I think ahead now to when the kids say - 'it took how long to charge batteries when you where young - 8 hours - you're so old Dad.'

I can hear it now

Technology can be a wonderful thing but its very aging.

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

This would be awesome. You could be out in the wild forever if you just have a car with you... drain it and just pop it in for a minute and you're good to go again... This sound almost too good to be true.

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Hmm.. cool, but I'm not that bothered about charge times. How about longer life batteries instead? And lith-ion batteries that don't lose charge capacity so quickly?

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The real trick is lighter batteries with the same performance as current ones.

Still, who can complain about a battery that charges this fast? Right now my digital camera takes 2 charge hours for every use hour.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The wires would get hot pulling that much current.

You would fry USB ports.

I can see this sucking enough juice to crash some machines.

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Looks like a hoax..

Toshiba apparently has no Li-On production facilities anymore:

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/cgi-bin/display.cgi?table=Family&FamilyID=8

And also no press releases since February:

http://www.toshiba.com/taec/cgi-bin/display.cgi?table=PR&FamilyID=8

Whoever guessed it was an April Fool's joke might be right. Still, a breakthrough in the battery industry is what consumer electronics really needs right now.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

a shame if it is a hoax or joke

but awesome technology if it proves to be real

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

That's my biggest question. My power brick and PowerBook get pretty hot already when charging. If it was subjected to all that heat from the 3 hours charge in only a few minutes, it seems that it would go PowerBook 5300 on me!

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Looks like it's for real... (It's not listed on the Toshiba Americas site, you have to go to their Japanese site to find the press release.)

14. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Heres an article about it

The last paragraph (excerpt below) is probably the most important from a global perspective, as it could have truly huge effect on the practicality and efficiency of hybrid vehicles.

Plus having more power, while being lighter and charging far faster makes this the first genuine breakthrough battery technology for mobile devices since lithium-ion. Bring it on.

Major features of new battery:

High Energy Density

Small and light, the new battery offers a high level of storage efficiency. The prototype battery is only 3.8mm thick, 62mm high and 35mm deep and has a capacity of 600mAh.

Eco Friendly

The new battery can quickly store energy produced by locomotives and automobiles. This speedy and highly effective recharge characteristic of the battery will support CO2 reduction, as the battery can save and re-use energy that was simply wasted before.

15. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

Hmm, I hope edesign or some other mod doesn't close this thread after I bump it up, being 2years later, which is what happened that last time I did that, :p.

Maybe in another 2 years we'll see this on a production automobile (mass produced), and maybe it could transfer to laptop batteries...would be nice when your battery cuts out on you, if you could plug it in and in no time it was mostly recharged.

Toshiba intros SCiB ion battery tech for hybrid cars
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/12/11/toshiba.scib.battery/

16. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

this would be awesome. all those cheap rc cars that take 6 hours to charge, but only last 15 minutes at best would benefit from this heaps

17. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

This would certainly have a use in future electric cars. Right now you have to charge them overnight if I remember right. This would make electric stations ("gas" stations) feasible.

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Hey hey, I'm currently in the middle of playing zak mckrakken on a dos emulator, sadly, our 1986 amstrad machine packed in, so no fully retro gaming for me :(

Anyone remember when typing on a keyboard was as tiring as running in a marathon?

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was looking to see which dope revived this thread.

No surprise here. ;)