Toshiba SD-M1912 DVD-ROM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by noxes, Nov 22, 2004.

1. noxes macrumors member

Hey I am looking to get a second DVD-ROM for my computer (already have a superdrive) Just woundering if the Toshiba SD-M1912 (E-IDE) is compatible with a PowerMac G4 1.25 GHZ. Or are most DVD-ROMs compatible with Macs and I could basically go with any that uses the same connection as my tower would (SATA?)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Toshiba SD-M1912 DVD-ROM

The drive database at XLR8YourMac http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/action.lasso?-search
    is usually the place for drive compatibility.
    There are no articles on the SD-M1912.
    Chances are reasonably good that it will be compatible, and if it is a second drive, it doesn't necessarily have to be bootable.

The SD-M1912 is an IDE (parallel ATA) drive, not SATA (Serial ATA), I don't know of any SATA optical drives at this point. Your G4 tower also does not use SATA unless you have installed a SATA interface card. There should be an IDE cable available for the second optical drive bay.

Thanks
    Trevor
    Canadaram.com

3. noxes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply I will check that site out.

4. kashasu macrumors newbie

I've installed an sd-m1912 on a g4 pci 'yikes' running on OS 10.3. I can watch dvd no problem using dvd player, but not all my CD's are playing. Am currently trying to find out what the problem is. In case any of you might have an idea let me know! I'm thinking it might have to do with the ISO format, though I'm heavily in the dark about this!