Toshiba to Introduce 1-inch Drives

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    CNet reports that Toshiba is due to unveil a less than 1-inch hard drive next month at the Consumer Electronics Show.

While no capacities are yet known for the upcoming drives, for reference, Hitachi currently manufactures 1-inch hard drives that hold from 1GB to 4GB of data. Competition in the mini-harddrive market continues to increase as more players are introducing comparable form factors. Hitachi recently introduced their own 1.8" hard drive which has found its way into the Dell Digital Jukebox.

As readers are aware, Apple presently uses Toshiba's 1.8" hard drives in the iPod and reportedly enjoyed nearly exclusive use of those drives from Toshiba in the first year of production.
  2. macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2003
  3. macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2002
    Gainesville, FL
    Cool...we may see even smaller iPods, or same size iPods with better battery life soon.

Looking forward to see what Apple has planed for the iPod.
  4. macrumors member

Dec 4, 2003
    This can only be good news for Apple.
    Maybe this is the hard drive to go into the new epod?????
  5. macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
  6. macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    1" drives can't hold the capacity yet to put in the ipod. But it would be nice if they sold a 1 Gb - 4 Gb workout ipod. Smaller form factor and design with some water resistance and shock protection. I'd buy one and still use my 20 gb ipod.
  7. macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    keep in mind how expensive they'll probably be at first. i don't think we'll be seeing them in low-end (cheap wise) ipods anytime too soon...

8. macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Sport Pod
    with attaching arm bands.
    Featuring: iShock
    Apples patented shock resistant technology that a paint shaker can't even disturb.

Also is water and sweat resistant.

Also comes in 7 cool flavour colours.

Not to mention a shock and scratch resistant outer shell and screen.

Comes in 3 capacities:

Now start sweating in style with your Sport Pod today!!
  9. macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Maybe I'm missing something here...but it seems to me that you'll never see a hard drive based mp3 player listed as shock-free. The "sport" mp3 players all have flash memory only.

If there is a spinning drive, then it will likely not be a sport ipod.
  10. macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2003
    Plan 'O Tejas
    Cheap Gen III iPods

This will mean that the prices on the current Toshiba units will be coming down in price. Apple will be able to maintain their product margins and offer reduced priced iPods. They will sell more of the current iPod design.
  11. macrumors 68040

Good news, if they have a 5 gig version then we may see a low cost iPod soon, hopefully these smaller drives will allow for longer battery life. I don't think the iPod's form factor will get any smaller, Apple would not want to lose the functionality of the current design, however it could get even thinner:)
  12. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    nail meet head :). I hope Apple reads these forums because this would be a great product.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Jan 8, 2002
    Historic St. Charles
    Re: Cheap Gen III iPods

Ah! That's exactly what I was thinking, b/c we should know that we won't see these smaller drives in an ipod..too expensive and not enough capacity.
  14. macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    Hopefully they won't run into any production problems of not being able to produce enough of 'em.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    I love my iPod to death and I always take it with me when I am working out, but I have to admit, when I see the other people working out with the mp3 players around their arm, I'm a little jealous. Granted, I do see a multitude of other people with iPods, but you really dont need to carry around your entire music collection to go work out with. It would be great if Apple made some sort of workout iPod like two other people have already would be kick ass!
  16. macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    Someone already said it: hard-drive based mp3 players aren't good for jogging, thats what flash memory is for.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003
    well, i beg to differ...when I work out I use cardio machines and I have my iPod in its case attached to my shorts. And it works just fine. It has skipped once or twice on me, but thats no big deal. And its not like the iPod reads the music off of the hard drive loads the info into onboard memory, which lets the hard drive spin down until it is needed again, which is about 20 minutes worth of music at a time.
  18. macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    Hello? Everyone?

This is all MOOT if Toshiba doesn't provide sizes 10 GB and higher. Apple has no reason to adopt something that doesn't hold as much as the current iPods do! We still don't know what sizes Toshiba will be releasing. If this is their first release of 1-inch and below, it's probably going to be comparable to the Hitachi (duh).

This has very little immediate impact on the iPod line, folks!
  19. macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Only good if it increases battery life.

I want a 5 GB iPod... then I'm good.

All the new features... battery life...

That would be worth it.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    Must be fruit flavored. Lime Green Part Deux.
  21. macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2003
    A little off topic but for the life of me I can't understand why Palm or others don't incorporate hard drives into their's just plain dumb as they could then easily double as MP3 players
  22. macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2003
    PDAs don't have hard drives because a) they're hugely expensive, and b) they suck power. Nobody wants a Tungsten that costs several hundreds of dollars more and only runs for a few hours.
  23. macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2003
    i just want a cheaper iPod, period. I don't care what size the hard drive is...
  24. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    I just don't think my 10GB iPod will ever fill up, I have 461 songs on it. I know that's tiny compared to some, but 461 songs is a heck of a lot to me.

A 4GB iPod would be neat, for those interested in the "cool" and "cheap" factor. I probably would have gone for a 4GB'er if it had been offered when I was buying my 10GB iPod.

Oh well, 10GB= room to grow.

:) :rolleyes: :D
  25. macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    I'd take one.

But then again, that's just me. Tungstens are just so neat.