Total Annihilation in OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by d-fi, Feb 6, 2004.

1. macrumors member

Hey everyone

Was looking through a list of old games and i saw Total Annihilation. I had some great times playing it on the PC and would love to play it on my new G4 iBook.

But i don't want to buy it and find out that it wont play in OS X since it's an old mac game. I've looked for a OS X patch but it doesn't look like there is one.

Does anyone know if it will play in OS X ?

any help would be greatly appreciated:)

thanks
    d-fi

2. macrumors 68020

Grab the demo. Run it in Classic, and hope it works. Then you should at least have an idea on how it runs in Classic.

There isn't an OS X version, but who knows if it runs in Classic. There was supposed to be a sequel (that also had a chance to come to the Mac), but something went wrong. Google it!

3. macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

TA was the bomb. Also the only RTS I've been better than OK at.

4. macrumors member

i have ta gold for the mac. its my favorite rts ever. does it run in classic?

yes and no.

yes it runs. theres slight graphic glitches if i remember correctly and music doesnt work. music was the best part.... :(

the problem is, is that its one of those combo cds with half data half music. and osx opens those as 2 cds...not 1...

if anyone knows a way to make it look at it as one, tell me!

5. macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Make a disk image and lump all the data into one?

6. macrumors 6502

No. That's doesn't work.

TA runs under OS X classic, but not too well. Graphic glitches, no music and sometimes the mouse freaks out (way too fast cursor movement, no clicks accepted).

Nonetheless, I still play TA often with a friend of mine. :)

BTW: TA 2 is on the way! Let's hope that it comes for Mac, too!

7. thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone tried VPC?

TA is old enougth (1997 for PC) that it might run ok in VPC. i don't own VPC so i have no idea on how iT might function.

Just a thought :)

d-fi

btw thanks for all the input everyone:D

8. macrumors member

oh man i have the pc versions. i'll try in a while and report back. it should work, it doesnt require or use a 3d card at all.

9. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Theres' a way to avoid that. It's a kludge, but it should work: burn the music on to a separate CD, and put that in after starting a mission/battle. It works (at least on the PC version) b/c all the unit, etc., data stays in memory during the battles.

10. macrumors 6502

Buying VPC is more expensive than grabbing a copy of the Mac version on eBay.

11. macrumors 68020

That's OK, it doesn't matter. They're two "sessions". Many game CDs look like that. Everything still works fine. To eject, click either one and hit F12.

12. thread starter macrumors member

Yea i know it's expensive:eek: But i'm planing on buying VPC when the new version comes out because i have some small (but importand) apps that don't have any mac equivalents. Plus it's a good way for me check compatibility when i do my programing projects.

But if it would run TA that would be a nice bonus:)