Total Annihilation

Discussion in 'Games' started by cwright, Jan 2, 2006.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Did anyone else here ever play Total Annihilation? It's such an old game now, but probably still my favorite.

I got bored over Christmas break and decided to reinstall Classic mode and try it out again... but I'm having problems :(

I have everything installed just fine, but it's very unstable. It will play just fine for hours if no one attacks each other, but as soon as you start a large attack (maybe 20-30 units) it will freeze up or just quit.

I've got more than plenty memory allocated to it, so I can't figure out why it doesnt run very well. Does anyone else here play TA in Classic mode under OSX with better luck?

Oh and by the way, I had heard rumors about the developments of Total Annihilation 2 that would be OS X compatible, but that was over a year ago and I haven't seen anything since then. Has the project been scrapped?
  2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I don't know anything about Total Annihilation on the mac, but I have played the first game. I don't like it. Just get Starcraft if you want a good strategy with minimum system requirements...
  3. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    No Total Annihilation 2 for the PC, so none for the Mac. However, there were rumors about making an OS X binary of Total Annihilation, but those rumors are very old. Don't hold your breath.

I played Total Annihilation over a LAN at my friend's house several times. I only played the demo and enjoyed it. Doesn't run that well in Classic either.
  4. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2000
    Nor Cal
    I agree but...

I agree with you about how cool TA was.

I love the theme and game play - but for OS X - sigh - it is too old. Try Rise of Nations. Minus the sci fi part - it is an equally cool game...

5. Moria macrumors regular

May 7, 2005
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I love this game, but haven't played it since converting to OS X, how do you play it on a Mac?
  6. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    This game rocked, I liked it mores '3Dness' than Starcraft. And collecting metal. I too haven't played it since I converted over to OSX.
    To play it I assume you just install Classic (OS9) on OSX and it should run. Don't know why you are experiencing problems with it though.
  7. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2005
    I love this game on Windows, used to play it over the network all the time. Got the demo for Mac, which ran under Classic, but it doesn't talk with the Windows version over a network which really sucks as it's a great game. As a result I haven't played it for ages.
  8. mkluskens macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2003
    Total Annihilation on OS X

I've played TA under Classic with OS X 10.2.8 and OS X 10.3.9 quite a bit and no problems, runs quite well though I tend to give TA a lot of memory on any system (I like lots of units, path finding bogs down after about 250 units, but then all the other games limit you to 250 units max.).

I only get crashes when I use third party units, not that many are the cause of the problem it just takes lots of testing with one new units at a time to decide how stable it is (same problem exists on the PC as well).

I've played Starcraft recently and if the pixels were any bigger it would be pong.

I use the Switek bug fix with TA, looks like I'm using 1.6b6, haven't looked for updates in quite a while.

I forget if I played TA under Classic with OS X 10.4.3.

The networking for lots of games on Windows is propriety M$ technology, little surprise if the Mac port does not talk to the Windows version.

There is unlikely to be a TA2, the ownership of TA has not or will not license it.

TA did amazingly well for a game which the company owning it sacked the programmers shortly after releasing the game and closed the division supporting the game, of course killing the online gaming servers (all in the name of saving money).

The spiritual followon to TA is Supreme Commander <>, google for more info and interviews.
  9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Yeah, Total Annihilation is very fun, and I didn't have any problems running it under Classic. (I was actually playing this a lot a few months ago.) Make sure you update to the last version...can't remember the exact number offhand.

10. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    twas a good game...

never got hold of the expansion pack though.
  11. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    There were two of them, but I got Total Annihilation Gold which had everything.

12. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    That game looks really cool... but I can't find any info on whether or not it will support the mac at launch. I would hope so, I'd buy it!

Anyway I think TA is officially unplayable in Classic mode :(
    I did have the 3rd party unit pack installed (TAUCP) which may have contributed to the crashes, but its just not as much fun without it. Oh well...

Thanks to iriejedi for the Rise of Nations suggestion. A friend of mine just got this game and it is pretty cool. If Supreme Commander is a long ways off for the mac, I may buy myself a copy.
  13. mkluskens macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2003
    Total Annihilation on OS X

Correction to a previous comment: the Mac OS version of TA only shipped as the Gold version with both expansions.

I played several games of Total Annihilation using Classic under OS X 10.4.3 this past Friday. The performance of the game is fine in single player and multiplayer. One issue is the cursor at the starting screen and you need to remap Expose keys so you can use F9-F12 inside the game. You have to upgrade to TA 3.1.2b6 and I like Switek's TA Bugfix for fixing game flaws.

One issue I have is I can't see the CD in multiplayer on one of the three computers we were playing on -- the Classic install is straight off Apple's CD's that shipped with this G5, I'm thinking of reinstalling TA or Classic or grabbing a system folder from a native OS 9 machine (a no-no but I would like to figure out who broke what).

I doubt any OS 7, 8, or 9 game is "officially playable in Classic mode" -- the real issue is with any program is that if it works on most machines then in almost every case any problems are not caused by the game but instead by something installed on the machine demostrating bad behavior.
  14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    I believe I had to make a disc image of the CD, as it wasn't recognized (except the first time, which is a little odd). So hold off on reinstalling anything until you try making a disc image.