Total Annihilation

Discussion in 'Games' started by kneeslasher, Jul 18, 2004.

1. kneeslasher macrumors member

Jun 6, 2004
    Dear all.

Having found time to breath, eat, sleep and perform other semi-vital functions after my purchase of my first Mac in the form of a 12" pBook G4, I have now lifted my eyes towards the subject of Mac gaming. I have run TA in VPC 6.1: which is tolerable, but today I find that MacSoft has actually ported TA to the Mac. Imagine my delight. Trouble is, it is specifically stated that the Mac version cannot play against the PC version across the internet: due to DirectPlay incompatibility. Is there any fix for this or are we lumped with MacvMac only?
  2. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    Mac VS Mac only.

A pity it is.

But there won't be a fix unless MS decides to port DirectPlay for Mac.
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    It's really annoying when games are Mac to Mac only. They should fix it so that you can play against Windows users. Instead of trying to make the Mac version talk to the Windows version, they should instead release a patch for the Windows version to let it talk to the Mac version.
  4. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

Jul 28, 2003
    I love TA, it was my belief it only ran on Classic or OS9 is this not true?! I would be so happy if it actually ran on os X??
  5. kneeslasher thread starter macrumors member

Jun 6, 2004
    YOu are right. It is OS9 only.

BTW: the Mac vs PC incompatibility arises, as far as I can see, from Windows using DirectPlay. Is there no compatibility layer that can be used on the Mac for this? And if there is/was, would the Mac version be able to take advantage of it?

Or, more likely, I am being hopelessly naive?
  6. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Partially, yes ;)

Aspyr is hoping to port DirectPlay and Ubisoft's proprietary network API (forget what's called), but MS nor Ubisoft have released the code, yet.

There really can't be a compatibility layer because, from what I understand, the code calculates really small numbers that are many decimal places down. Only Intel-based processors can calculates those numbers and can keep up with a networked game. If we used some sort of compatibility layer, we'd have connections that would fail a few seconds into the game, random drop outs in connection, or at best, some really bad lag.
  7. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001

Ohhhh yeah, the 80-bit internal x86 floating point format. Makes it hard to get along with everyone else, who are all using 64-bit FP formats. The good news is that since SSE2 only supports the standardized 32/64-bit floats it is unlikely that too many more games will get bitten.

A shame that Cavedog didn't consider making their game portable.
  8. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

Jul 28, 2003
    anyone heard about ath UT2004 TA mod?? I would be curious to know if it's cool or not?
  9. kneeslasher thread starter macrumors member

Jun 6, 2004
    It seems a real shame that the entire game was ported save for that tiny section which allows multiplayer to PCs. Ah well. I tried running TA in VPC. It does run ok. I haven't yet connected an external mouse to the machine yet, so no chance to see how slow it will get with a large number of units.
  10. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2001

If its using 80-bit floats instead of 64-bit floats, then that is a pretty major obsticle to compatibility.