Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobnlyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
San Antonio
I downloaded Lion to my new iMac on day two. Since then I've experienced something I never saw with Snow Leopard or on my MBP.

Three times now, twice when trying to watch a news video on Safari, and once in iCal, the entire system has locked up. Only the cursor moves. That's it. Buttons and function keys are dead. Nothing will launch, nothing will even happen. Battery power is 90+%.

I finally do a power button shut down, then a reboot, and all is well. Until the next time.

Help?

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Anything in the Console.app around the time this happens?

bobnlyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
San Antonio
No way to know what is going on. I can't look at ANYTHING except a pointer moving around on a totally dead display.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I am not saying this is your problem but when things like that have happened I always run DiskWarrior on the boot HD. Might want to try and see if that solves your problem.

greyparrot

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I have the same problem. It's happened to me several times. There doesn't seem to be any connection to a specific app since it has occurred with different apps and even when I switched from desktop to dashboard with a trackpad gesture. I have used Diskwarrior and it didn't prevent the lockup.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
same problem, 2 hard lockups since Lion. I have hold the power button down to reboot.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
+1. Happened to me as well. Coming back from sleep, Lion resumed all my apps, and before I knew it, the cursor is the only moving thing on my screen. Everything else got frozen in eternal state. Had to power off and on again.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Check your logs to see what they are saying. Possible post one of the errors in your log. You can do this after you had a hard reset.

Hugh

AGEC2008

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Same here. It has happened to me three times. Only thing I can do is manually turn it off and boot up again. Not good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.