Totally newb question... how to add things to the dock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macdude2, Nov 3, 2006.

1. macdude2 macrumors member

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just drag the icon onto the Dock from wherever you keep it. :)

3. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Just like mad jew said, if and when you want to remove it just click and drag it off the dock. We all switched at one time or another. :)

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

No worries. Luckily Apple makes things very easy. Usually when there seems to be an obvious way of doing what you think should happen, that's what the solution is. This time all you have to do is drag an application to the dock and they all scoot over to make room for the new item. The main part of the dock will only accept apps, however you can make folder shortcuts next to the trash can. You can even make kind of a "start" menu by adding your application folder to that section by the trash can and by right mouse clicking it, it will display all your applications.

5. macdude2 thread starter macrumors member

I'm so used to using a windows ( :eek: ) that I think everything is going to be hard to figure out and all screwed up... nice to know that things are so simple. :)

Thanks for the fast help. :)

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you already have something open - right click it in the dock and select 'keep in dock'

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. scott523 macrumors 6502a

If you say so, dragging things to the dock isn't any different than dragging apps to the taskbar in Windows. It wouldn't hurt to try it since a Mac 'just works'. Then again I'm surprised you haven't met or got to know a Mac at any school, etc.

10. flalaw macrumors regular

That's so cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been using OSX for a while now and never discovered that feature.

11. Dubba macrumors regular

adrianblaine - thanks for that; as flalaw said, that is a cool trick.

I havebeen a Mac user since 2002, and I didn't know that one either.

I guess we can all learn something new every day... especially on this forum! :)

12. fall3n macrumors 6502

that's really cool too...the only downside is you have to scroll over the folder to see the name of it.

13. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I forget even when I heard that tip... I did TONS of researching before I bought my first Mac back in late 2004. I probably learned more about OS X before I got my iBook than I have learned since!:eek: Not that I don't try to keep learning.

At school, before I switched, people would come to me with all their PC problems. In the last 2 years I've gotten at least 6 of my friends to switch. And since I've gotten a lot slower at fixing my friends PC problems (It's amazing how quickly I forgot a lot of stuff) they've stopped asking me. I only have to help my Mac friends on the rare occasion, so my life has gotten a lot easier on the Tech Support front :D

Yeah, that part does suck, so I only ever use just the Apps folder (unless of course you want to memorize the order of your folders...). I use the side bar in Finder more often for regular folders that I need quick access to.