Totally unrelated to Mac gaming: Halo 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by vraxtus, Nov 9, 2004.

1. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I thought I might share my joy with the forum users here, as I picked up my limited edition copy of Halo 2 at 12:20 AM this morning.

Halo 2 is a DAMN fine game. Graphically it's AMAZING and Bungie has done a brilliant job coding the game to run at 30 FPS almost constantly. That said, I've been playing it in Heroic and getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis, but the thrill of hopping on a Ghost and jacking it from an Elite is a great feeling :D

If you have an XBox... you MUST get this game.

2. Jaz macrumors regular

3. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

So are the graphics really that much better?? How can this be with out compensating somthing. I would think the graphics would be maxed out with Halo 1.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The further into the life cycle of a platform, the more developers are able to optimize code to squeeze extra performance out of the console. With a console, you have the same hardware config for 4-5 years, not a moving target like in PC development. This means that you can benefit from your prior experience developing other games for that specific hardware console. That's why load times are shorter and graphic effects are better at the end of the console cycle.
    On the PC side, developers always deal with a moving target as far as h/w, so they cannot afford to sink so much time & energy into optimization that the config they are optimizing for is yesterday's technology by the time the game is released.

I'm no programmer, so I could well be wrong. :)

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

That sounds about right. Bungie said the original wasn't as good as it could have been due to making the jump to Xbox relatively late in the development cycle, and so had a lot of potential for improvement. Certainly, more recent Xbox games (such as Halo2, and the Splinter Cells) are far, far more impressive than the launch titles.

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I had nothing better to do last night so I drove to the mall and was surprised to see hundreds of people there. Since I hadn't reserved or anything, I had to wait until last but still got a copy. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be much longer than the first one but it is so much better.

If a game were to be developed into a series for TV, or a movie or something, this would get my vote.

I just with they would expand it a little more, maybe a greater variety of smaller missions. But then, I have all of the difficulty levels to work through, and that adds new elements to the game as well.

I wonder where the next game will take the story.

7. shortyjj macrumors regular

8. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

probably cheated or beat it on "chump" mode...haha thats what i do sometimes :D :p

9. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

I say milk the franchise till it's dry! If that means Halo: The Movie so be it! If that means Halo 3, 4, 5, 6 So be it. If they have to make books... oh wait..they already have them... If they have to make action figures so.... oh they have those too...

plus once it's dry bungie will make more games! it'd suck if they sucked.. but so be it.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Would anybody be willing to ruin the story for me. Just hit me up with a PM. I don't want it to be spoiled for those of you playing through the game.

I just don't think I'll get a chance to play it myself since I know of no one with an X-Box! :eek:

11. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

Xbox live

everyone on MR should post their Gamertags so we can all play eachother n stuuf

12. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

Check out the red vs. blue series. redvsblue.com

13. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Well we mean like with action like the cut scene in the game.. but w/e rvb is good stuff

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I will, I just finished Halo though, and I think my eyes are bleeding. The ending was a little disappointing, doesn't leave much room in there for a third series. I was hoping that we would get to find out about who the Forerunners were and where the Flood came from.

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

No, they do leave the ending open, wait until the credits have rolled to see. I won't spoil it for anyone.

16. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Oh man, the Red vs. Blue stuff is awesome. I have to say that Halo2 has really made huge improvements over the first one. The environments are just so much more expansive and the scope of the game feels epic. I love the storyline (so far... I'm not finished yet either because Heroic is having a field day on my ass), and it's turns the Halo series into a something of a classic. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, but there are little twists everywhere, especially if you're a fan.

Anyway, it's pretty much a must have for anyone who has an xbox and likes FPS. When I go live in a few weeks, I'll post up my name so we can all hit up a round or three.

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Yeah, if I tried on any decent level of difficulty I would be here until next year. I work my way to the higher levels.

18. hjhhjh macrumors member

my friend got a copy limited edition at 10 30 on nov 8th at night, he knows the guy at eb games, ne wayz, he beat it on heroic at 7 am, and tmrw me n him r gona beat legendary at the halo 2 party at jordos house lol

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Coo.

20. benpatient macrumors 68000

well, i have to say, i was a little disappointed. maybe it was my expectations, or maybe it was the game itself, but man, i was told it was "huge" and "much less linear" in relation to Halo 1.

Did I miss something?

The levels were huge, but there was only one way through each one, and most of the level space was just sorta there...it wasn't involved in the game itself.

And if that isn't linear gameplay, i don't know what is...cutscenes every 5 minutes, it felt like...and sometimes the textures didn't show up right away...i don't think my machine is screwed up...

like when MC is falling and earth is below him? Earth "arrived on the scene" about 2 seconds late...till then it was a black chunk on the screen. looked cheap.

and I know maybe it was a little unrealistic before, but I miss the old pistol...no more pistol sniping in this game, let me tell you.

the story was cool though.

i just found myself feeling a little cheated.

I really hope HL2 isn't so short.

21. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

please don't hate me but...

I have an xbox, and I'm not goingt to be purchasing halo2 anytime soon. I may when it becomes a platinum hit and gets priced at like $20, but for the meantime, I am just standing on the slidines, a little bewildered to be honest, as eveyone rushes out to buy Halo2. I owned the first one, and it was an excellent game, but imho thats all it was, an excellent game: wonderful graphics and clever ai, with an above avarage storyline. I found it kind of repetative, and was somewhat annoyed about being forced into the two weapon at a time thing (even though it added to the realism). I much prefer games like splinter cell (either one), where there is immense satisfacion every time you take someone out. I even prefer sw battlefront to halo1, just because of the sheer variety, of characters/vehicles you can use, even though the AI is pretty dumb. I guess that's my main issue with the original, and probably the sequel too, I would imagine: the lack of variety. There were only like 6 different enemy types, and then you could doubble that if you included the floodified versions of those. But that's just me.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I for one never bought into all this nonsense that Halo was a step above everything else.

But it's an excellent game. And after playing Halo 2 last night, I can say that the Halo series still ranks as one of the prettiest FPS games out there. They squeezed a lot out of that GeForce 3.

I'm playing it cooperative with my brother and since we're not not hard core gamers we haven't gotten far yet, but it's fun. I like the new weapons, too.

For some reason though, I find myself playing SOCOM 2 online more than Halo (when my PS2 isn't dead due to DREs). I like the 3rd person view, and I'm a fan of more factually based combat scenarios.

23. shortyjj macrumors regular

I too am disappointed for far: it somehow feels more artificial, and the big environments don't do as much for me as some the outdoor ones on the first game. And that weird plot twist, where I'm playing as somebody else? Ugh.

Even the two-player is disappointing: there are no levels small enough for two people.

Lastly: has anybody figured out how to do split-screen with top-and-bottom instead of side/side? It's really driving me crazy.

I plan on beating the game sometime this week, selling it, and being completely content with my trusty copy of Halo (1).

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just bought Halo 2 last night (midnight), and have to say I'm disappointed too.

Fantastic graphics, sound effects and gameplay, but, some of my worst fears from reading the previews have been realised.

The Covenant now speak perfect English? WTF? It's a bit like Jaws stopping in the middle of a movie and saying "I'm going to nibble your leg right off" in a Monty Python accent.

The enigmatism (made that word up) and mystique of the Covenant are completely destroyed also by the lengthy and too frequent cutscenes. A severe case of Metal-Gear-Solid-2-itis!!

And - perhaps I'm missing something - but I don't think it's possible to turn down the music so I can actually hear what Cortana is saying! Perhaps the plot is so poor it's better that you can't hear it. I wouldn't mind, but much of the music isn't up to the standard of the original, i.e. the rock music that plays during the lengthy Banshee dogfight mission. Blech.

Plus the changes to the weaponry and equipment (dual weapons, rocket lock, quicker recharging shielding) means the gameplay is faster and more (dare I say it?) Quake like than the original. Rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

But at least it loads a LOT quicker!!

25. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I just wanted to add: let's not forget where Bungie came from. They were an all-Mac company back when Macs weren't cool machines for making games. Marathon came out nearly at the same time as Doom and looked and played soooo much better, esp. in the multiplayer. And the Marathon series had a ridiculously cool story line (for kids, anyways) and a huge community of map makers and modders. Man I loved that game! H2 is getting overnighted to me as I type...can't wait to get my work done so I can obsess over it.

Cheers