Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Touch bar looks far more primetime ready than I was expecting ... lets hope it holds up on apps like 3D apps and custom mapping

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
Its almost like the perfect marriage. Im seriously really excited about it. Before I was just kind of..."lets see".

btbam91

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2015
I mean, I love the touchpad so much and clicking items on the screen. To me, the touchbar seems pretty gimmicky. I don't like the idea of looking down to make sure I touch the right part of the bar.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
I mean, I love the touchpad so much and clicking items on the screen. To me, the touchbar seems pretty gimmicky. I don't like the idea of looking down to make sure I touch the right part of the bar.
How is that different than looking down at a keyboard? TO me, I have always found reaching out to touch a screen awkward. I like that its down where I already am.
[doublepost=1477590746][/doublepost]
It's a gimmick.

Much easier to just use the trackpad. With the touch bar you have to stop and look down to make sure you're touching the correct button.
I take screenshots as an example. ITs currently a multiple key thing I have to do. Now its one button. Thats not a gimmick to me. Thats literal results with improvement.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Sort of. At first it was oohhhhhh I want. It's a cool feature. But the more they show things off, the more I realize I can do things as quickly or faster with keyboard commands (not F keys). But I'm sure more complex apps will make really cool uses for them. Unfortunately, I had to buy the 2015 MBP a couple months ago as the other one I needed to replace died. I waited as long as I possibly could. Hopefully, they release a new BT keyboard or magic trackpad to get these features to those with older MBPs.

EDIT: The Photoshop demo is an awesome way to use the TouchBar and it is definitely more useful in higher end aps. I want to see what it can do in Lightroom.

Also, I kind of feel like the placement of the bar would be better right above the track pad? But then you might palm it too often when typing. I dunno.

Last edited:

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I take screenshots as an example. ITs currently a multiple key thing I have to do. Now its one button. Thats not a gimmick to me. Thats literal results with improvement.
How often do people take screenshots on the Mac? Not often.

It's great that you like it but I think many will find it's easier to do many tasks just using the trackpad.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
It was just one example. With apps like Photoshop I use daily. I would love to map my stuff there. That to me is what I love.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
is the processor skylake as it didnt mention it.
Waiting for geekbench too! cant wait to retire my over heated late 2013 mbp 13.

Interesting_Way_924

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
How is that different than looking down at a keyboard? TO me, I have always found reaching out to touch a screen awkward. I like that its down where I already am.

There's without a doubt touchscreens are coming to Mac someday. It's only a matter of time. iOS and OSX are converging. Microsoft went through a lot of growing pains with Windows 8, and I'm pretty sure that's why Apple's not yet ready.

However I do find it less useful to look down at my keyboard when I can manipulate on the screen directly. Let's be fair--rotating and leveling a photo like Craig was doing using a small little bar while looking down at your keyboard and then back up at your screen is not efficient. Doing it like on an iPad Pro or Surface Pro makes more sense.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
There's without a doubt touchscreens are coming to Mac someday. It's only a matter of time. iOS and OSX are converging. Microsoft went through a lot of growing pains with Windows 8, and I'm pretty sure that's why Apple's not yet ready.

However I do find it less useful to look down at my keyboard when I can manipulate on the screen directly. Let's be fair--rotating and leveling a photo like Craig was doing using a small little bar while looking down at your keyboard and then back up at your screen is not efficient. Doing it like on an iPad Pro or Surface Pro makes more sense.
I agree that some things would not be better on this. I am just in love with the things that I feel are awesome. The photoshop example from above is big for me. If I go into these apps and controls pop there that normally are multiple clicks, or deep tools in a menu thats HUGE for me. Major time savor. That to me si the value here.

I agree not exactly worth copy and paste, or basic functions. But these? Amazing.

Reactions: 0970373

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
not only a screen to watch, but also a keyboard with a touch bar.. hmm.. the left eye for the screen and the right for the TB - third eye for letters?

a bit gimmick

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
They are really riding the touchbar out during this presentation, eh?
I think they really want people to understand all you can do with it. The same reason all of the above is saying "gimmick". Apple is saying, NO! And here's proof.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The Touch Bar definitely is appealing to certain people, but the day to day user will probably struggle to implement it in a productive way.

Reactions: SparkFlash

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
No way to tell. Could go either way. I sort of have the feeling it's worthless.

Don't...... :)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Love it. As mentioned above, it looks much more well developed than most stuff Apple has put out in a long time. I initially thought it was gimmicky, but it looks like Apple really nailed it, and I do expect it be a work enhancer in certain apps. And with API support already, apps should start supporting it quite quickly.

I am actually quite sad that my '16 Macbook doesnt have it.

Reactions: SparkFlash

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
I agree mattopotamus. But isn't an average day use more angled at the air, or MacBook? Maybe thats just my perception. I take the pro literally. Doing web development and using Illustrator, Photoshop, Final cut pro, etc makes this very exciting for me.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I think they really want people to understand all you can do with it. The same reason all of the above is saying "gimmick". Apple is saying, NO! And here's proof.

It's gimmicky for basic aps. But it's a killer feature on pro apps so it's great for the MacBook Pro. They need to make an external keyboard with it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.