Touch CAPACITY - Why Doesn't Anyone CARE?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tones2, Sep 1, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

It used to be that the introduction of new iPods was all ABOUT capacity. Now no one seems to care. Strange. I've had an 160 GB iPod Classic for years now. I had an iPod with a 60Gb capacity I think like 5 years ago. Now, the Touch STILL is going to top out at 64GB.

I DO understand that it's impossible to go over 64GB at the current flash prices, but what I don't understand is why no one seems to CARE. :confused:

With so many people using there phones as music players these days - something that you always have with you, it's hard to understand why anyone even WANTS yet another relatively low capacity music player like the Touch to also carry around. Baffling really. The only way I'd consider a seperate music player is it it had SIGNIFICANTLY more capacity. Otherwise, I'll just use my 32GB iPhone and keep my iPod Classic.

BTW - What do you think will happen to the iPod Classic. Any updates on it?

Tony

2. macrumors 68020

I think we do care, it's just a matter of "nothing you can do about it". Prices dictate how these things unfold. I think the other thing is, 64GB is a very feasible amount of memory for most people. Even people with huge music collections. Personally, I have a 32GB touch, and my full music collection is around 55GB, but I manage to make it work. People can make 64GB work even more easily.

So, yeah, we care, everyone wants more storage, it's all about storage. But you have to choose when to give up the fight as to not make yourself crazy. And think that explains the lack of "why not 128GB!?" threads.

3. macrumors 6502

I honestly don't care. Maybe if I had that much music (Seems almost impossible for me). I think people just want the bigger sizes, not because they use it all, but because it's the top model.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

But given that most people can put 32GB on most phones in some way, and that all smart phones have music players, what's the market for a 64GB music player? It's not that much different to warrant carrying around yet another device. Those with large libraries would still have to "manage" those libraries - the main advantage of having large capacities is not to have to do that. Those with smaller libaries can probably just use their phone.

I'm sure there are a small percentage of music lovers without phones, but man, the market for something like an iPod Touch is really going to dwindle soon if they don't increase capacity.

Tony

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

You must be young. Us older people have a LOT more music / videos. My library is like 250GB+, about which 120GB is music and the rest video. Most people I know have similar libraries. It's definitely NOT about having the top model - it's about what best my library will fit into.

Tony

6. macrumors 6502

Yea, I'm 18, have a 40gb library. I do agree with you though, I'm just saying that most people I know buy the top capacity because it's the top model. In my opinion it's just a dumb thing to do. (Most people I know have a 10gb or less library :p)

7. macrumors 68020

Beric

I'm annoyed, just because I'll probably have to buy the most expensive model.

Not much I can do about it though.

8. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I'd say the main factor is production costs vs profit.

Only last year did it become feasible for Apple to ramp up production of a 64GB touch, because the prices of 32GB flash chips had come down considerably when compared to the year before (the 64GB uses two 32GB chips, hence the memory costs twice as much for Apple to purchase, which must then be passed to the consumer). This is why the 32GB touch took the pricing of the old 16GB model, while the 64GB took the price of the old 32GB. Now, even though people would love a 128GB touch, this is where things get tricky; right now it is still unfeasible for Apple to produce a touch that uses two 64GB chips due to the massive costs it would pass onto the consumer (the original 32GB 1st gen was insanely expensive, from what I remember even more expensive than the current low-end iPad), but it is also unfeasible to use four 32GB chips even though they are considerably cheaper - Apple is obsessed with thinness, and making their devices thicker (which is necessary to use more than two NAND flash chips) isn't on the agenda for them.

Sure, there are people that would buy the 128GB touch were it offered, but it's cost would have a major impact on its sales (and Apple is known to axe poor-selling iPods - hence the reason why the original 160GB classic was axed when the 120GB was released a couple years back). I'd say next year at the earliest for a 128GB touch.

9. macrumors 68020

This is why I also own a 160GB Classic. I HATE managing my library, so I'm with ya there. While my Classic has everything and anything on it, including holiday music, and my daughter's children's music, my Touch has everything I'd normally want to listen to.

That said, I really use my Touch as a different kind of device. I use it as an internet tool, organizational tool, gaming device, time killer, general entertainment usage. And it happens to play music too.

If you're someone who uses your Touch as a primary music device, I hear ya. 128GB or bust!

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's the problem. It used to be that the larger capacity pre-Touch iPoda were THICKER, and that seemed to be a reasonable trade off between those who want capacity and price. Heck, I don't CARE if my 128GB Touch is thicker than the 64GB Touch, nor would most peple care who want this capacity. It'd still probably be thinner than the 160GB Classic, so they could then discontinue THAT. It's seems to be win-win here. :confused:

Tony

11. macrumors 6502

Er...I'm not one of them, but some people like having two devices.

12. macrumors 65816

If it's impossible, what are people who do care supposed to do about it? Whine that something which is impossible isn't possible? :rolleyes:

I'll take that bet.

13. macrumors member

I used to whine like so many of you are...

and then, as a poor college student, I bought myself an 8GB first-gen Touch to replace my much-larger iPod Video.

And you know what? I was happy.

I realized that I use my Macbook (gasp) more than...once every few days!

And that, even with 8GB plus apps and more, I can put enough music on my Touch to remain happy! And if i'm unhappy, I can change the music in (gasp) five minutes!

My library is as huge as anyone's, but for reals, it doesn't all have to be there with me wherever I go. Are any of us moving to a laptopless hideout in Antarctica? Didn't think so.

We're talking about digital music access in 2010. We can survive a day with 64GB (or 32 or 8).

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

This is a really tired old argument.:rolleyes: Some of us don't want to have to PRE-DECIDE what we want to listen to each day. I have NO IDEA usually. So when I'm out and think of something I want to listen to, I want it on my device. I would like that device to be my 128GB iPhone :), but I'll settle for a 2nd device if I had to. but 64GB doesn't do anything for me. So I'll carry my Classic, thank you. The only reason I would care about the Touch if it matched by Classic in capacity or at least came close, then I could replace it with something I can actually watch movies on comfortably.

Tony

15. macrumors member

OP,
    Don't forget too that, we're going to see a shift to cloud streaming for media in the near future. I think right now, you could put your itunes catalog on a mobile me account and stream it to your Iphone. Other apps and companies like Rhapsody, Audio Box, even Pandora, are making it so you don't need 1TB of storage to carry your catalog around with you physically. It'll be in the cloud.

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, it IS possible. Make it THICKER and put four 32GB chips in it at a reasonable cost. It would probably still be thinner than the Classic. I'm not sure what the thinnest obsession is with Apple over the last 3 years.

Tony

17. macrumors 65816

Complaining about capacity, however, is fresh and innovative.

18. macrumors newbie

My music collection is probably like 20gb. And 95% of that I don't even care to listen to anymore, so I don't need it with me at all times.

It's really movies and TV shows that eat up the space on my tiny, 1st gen iPod touch.

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, remember that at the same time, cell carriers are putting substantial streaming limitations on accounts. I listen to about 4-6 hours a music as well as video a DAY - I would easily exceed those limits. Plus, Rhapsody and the like catalogue is not that comprehensive when you get away from mainstream stuff. Lastly, I like to view lyrics that I have embeded in my music files which you can't do with cloud based streaming.

No, I just want the same capacity as the iPod I bought 4 years ago. I don;t think that's an unreasonable expectation.

Tony

20. macrumors member

Tony,

If you need some recommendations for <64GB of music to get you through any given day, I can help you get started. You can fit the entire Eno discography there, for starters!

I'll leave this thread now.

-Miro

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, yes it is, because we've taken a step BACKWARDS only recently. And it's the first year that Apple has NOT increased capacity in ANY of their devices.

Tony

22. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I have to say I was surprised that there was no 128GB iPod Touch introduced today. I would have to say that the prices are still to high.

My music library is 60GB and I have a 16GB iPhone 4. Personally, I don't need to carry 10.5 days of music with me everywhere I go. So I don't mind having to manage my music.

23. macrumors regular

The fact stands that the vast majority of Apple's consumers do not have more than 64GB of music. Apple doesn't see the need to make a 128GB touch work. There is very little demand for that device.

24. macrumors 65816

Tmacfan4321 gave you the answer why nobody cares: It's not worth it (financially or otherwise) to try to meet your expectations. Nobody cares because it's a dumb thing to care about. If you want to take your whole library with you, buy (or keep) the Classic. I'm not sure what kind of answer you want, besides people to validate your grievance?

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

That's YOUR Perspective. You are probably under 21 and thinking of YOUR friends. Most people that I know want higher capacity, not just for music but HD video. You don't hear an outcry because the iPod Classic STILL exists, fortunately. I think Apple is just bidding time under 64GB flash chips become cheaper and more available. They can still fall back on the Classic for now.

Remember, Apple USED to make 120 & 160 iPods exclusively as a key selling point before the Touches came out, so SOMEBODY must have wanted this!

Tony