Touch ID Once Again Said to Come to iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 This Year

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 26, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

A new research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo indicates that Apple will include Touch ID across all new iOS devices in 2014, boosting shipments and bringing the fingerprint sensor to the iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3. The report reiterates previous claims made by Kuo last month, which noted that Apple's next-generation iPads will feature Touch ID upon their releases this fall.

Kuo also notes that Apple will change its Touch ID module design to utilize tin over previously used chemicals to enhance durability. Apple is also expected to stick with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and its subsidary XinTec to produce the fingerprint sensors.

Last month, it was noted that TSMC provided the first batch of fingerprint sensors for the iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3. A report in January noted that TSMC would begin production on the sensors sometime in the second quarter of this year with a new 12-inch fab processing method, however a report in February stated that TSMC would be using the same 8-inch fingerprint sensor processing method used for the iPhone 5s.

Improved shipments of Touch ID will also likely help launch supplies of all three devices, as low yield rates of the component was said to be a key factor contributing to the limited supplies of the iPhone 5s at its launch last September.

Article Link: Touch ID Once Again Said to Come to iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 This Year
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 18, 2012
    Obvious. Like predicting the sun will rise tomorrow. Tell me something I don't know MR.

In other news, MR believes that the iPhone 6 will have a CPU and come with included software.
  3. macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2012
    why what a suprise???!! totally didnt see this coming! :eek:
  4. macrumors 68040

Nov 20, 2008
  5. macrumors 65816

captain kaos

Jan 16, 2008
    So glad that "analyst" Ming-Chi Kuo is around to keep us up to date with what we already know......:rolleyes:
  6. macrumors 601

Mar 18, 2008
    California, United States
    As others have mentioned, big whoopee surprise.

What would be a more pleasant surprise is if Touch ID were to come to Macs...
  7. macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2010

so either no iWatch this year, it will have touch ID, or it will not run iOS. ;)
  8. macrumors 68020

Sep 22, 2009
    Yes please!
  9. macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2012
    Kissimmee, FL
    Thanks Captain Obvious

Breaking News: The sky is blue.
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2004
    Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    Touch ID, to me, makes less sense on a tablet. At least, unless they're going to add multiuser support finally.

That said, if the thing is cheap enough and they can make enough of them to meet demand, there's really no downside to including it on as many Apple devices as they care to.

Of course I still won't use it, regardless. Analog security is so easily bypassed, and we shouldn't encourage its widespread adoption.
  11. macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2011
    The part about using tin versus chemicals to improve durability is the only interesting part of this article.
  12. macrumors member

Sep 13, 2008
    Actually, that would be news since air molecules are clear. The blue that you see is sunlight.
  13. macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2008
    In Other News...

In other news, the iPhone 6 will feature a retina display.

Think of how ridiculous the article title is.... "once again?" No, they spent all that R&D on a one-off use for the iPhone 5s.
  14. macrumors 68000

Jun 24, 2010
    Tomorrow the LG G3 will be announced. I dare you MacRumors to post something that is not Samsung flame-bait.
    And why post the obvious? Don't need 20 articles till release to tell us touch ID is coming to iDevices. It was assumed last year and it will be assumed again this year.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2007
    I start to think KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is getting annoying.
  16. macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2013
    Reportedly? LOL come on now...we already know it's coming.
  18. macrumors 68020

Jul 13, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Does analyst Ming Chi Kuo from KGI Securities also practices fortune telling?
  19. macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    File this one in the "Obvious Rumors" section. :p
  20. macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2011
    In this latest research note, Mich-Chi Kuo tells us that the Touch ID sensor will be based on tin (the metal) rather than on certain other chemicals to increase its durability. This is something that we did not know before. Of course, we knew that Touch ID would make it into iOS devices this year! And, I would not be surprised to see Touch ID included in Macs too at some point in the not-too-distant future.
  21. macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Dec 15, 2013
    New research?????? What new research??? Anyone knows that apple will use Touch ID on future products and extremely likely to be ok iPads.

Is it really a rumor? I'm thinking closer to fact.

I don't know I'm thinking that the iPhone 6 will be sold only for hardware then you new to buy a $500 disk with iOS on it and then put that in your computer and transfer it over to your phone. But the disk only works once so don't screw up.
  22. macrumors 68000

Jul 10, 2012
    That's like.. not even a prediction at this point. It's pretty much a fact. Everyone knows this is happening.
  23. Stella, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014

macrumors 603

Apr 21, 2003
    No ****.

Did he really say it will return on the next iPhone?

****, he's a genius!
  24. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

Nov 8, 2008
    Florida, U.S.A.
    True, Touch ID is an obvious new feature for all new iOS devices (well,, maybe except for a lower budget category).

Can't wait, 7 more days for WWDC 2014 :D
  25. macrumors 68020

May 21, 2010
    I believe the news was that the sky was blue, not the air.