Touch Recognition Issue on iPhone 5, 5th Generation iPod Touch with Rapid Diagonal Swipes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Recombu follows up on a Tweet from UK developer CMA Megacorp addressing an issue with recognition of rapid diagonal swipes on the iPhone 5, posting a video comparison showing the issue on devices running both iOS 6 and iOS 6.0.1.
    The report notes cause of the issue is unknown, but iMore has confirmed that it also affects the fifth-generation iPod touch, suggesting that it may be related to the technology behind the new 4-inch display with in-cell touch technology being used in both devices.

Given the unusual rapid diagonal swiping motion required for the issue to appear, most users will notice it rarely, if at all, although certain apps such as Fruit Ninja and Infinity Blade that rely on such swiping motions could be affected by the issue. But given that it has taken two months since the launch of the iPhone 5 to even be noticed, it seems that the glitch generally does not have a significant effect on real-world usage.

Article Link: Touch Recognition Issue on iPhone 5, 5th Generation iPod Touch with Rapid Diagonal Swipes

2. macrumors 65816

Typical, post Jobs, quality control issues.

EDIT: Tried it on my iPhone 5 and I have the same issue. Scrollgate

3. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Where's the downvote button when you need it :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Jobs gave the okay on the iPhone 4's antenna. Talk about quality control...

5. macrumors regular

Fruit Ninja Gate!!!! On my way to the Apple Store to return my iPhone 5. Play Fruit Ninja was the only reason I got this phone!!!! :eek:

6. macrumors 6502a

inb4:
    -the Nexus One and the HTC Desire had a similar problem and of course it was a major issue
    -on the iPhone 5 it will become a feature or an insignificant issue for 200% of the users.

7. macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I have noticed the same issue and feel the sensitivity on the touch screen has lower than it was on the iphone 4 and 4s. Sometimes the touchscreen doesn't read certain commands, e.g., swiping on an email to delete.

8. macrumors 65816

JoEw

9. macrumors newbie

no big deal but......

i've never noticed it in real time usage so i guess it's not that big a deal. but........ i was able to replicate that issue on my iphone 5 (iOS 6.0.1)

10. macrumors 6502

Holy ****

I've encountered this glitch in Temple Run and Infinity Blade and I thought I was going insane hahaah

11. Quu
    macrumors 68000

Quu

Just tried it and I have the same thing on my iPhone 5. But to be honest I never ever need to scroll on my phone like in that video. And I've had the phone since day 1 and never experienced this in actual use so for me it's a non issue.

12. macrumors regular

Futurix

13. macrumors G4

daneoni

14. macrumors member

And you know this because?

15. macrumors 6502a

it will be fixed in iphone 5S...lol apple is slowly but surely dropping the ball that Steve jobs worked so hard to give them back when her returned to them but this time who will save them

16. macrumors 6502a

So the iPhone 5 can't keep up the scroll motion when you move your finger incredibly fast?

Okay.

17. macrumors 6502

powaking

I actually noticed this on Gems With Friends where you have to quickly drag gems from the bottom to the play field and some times the gems would not move at all. I can also reproduce this in mail app.

18. macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Some jokes will never get old.

19. macrumors 6502

i hope it's not the new screen technology that caused it.
    it dosen't really matter but still..

20. macrumors newbie

Steve Jobs would never let this happen....

=D

21. macrumors 6502a

does apple even bother to test its devices any more... i mean if you make a damn touch screen wont you touch it in every way possible before mass producing it?

22. macrumors newbie

No they do not.

23. macrumors member

This video was actually faked by Microsoft developers irate about the Windows 8 phone flop.

24. macrumors 68000

25. macrumors 65816