Touch Screen iBooks!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by TiMacLover, May 4, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
  2. TiMacLover thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2001
    Clovis, CA USA
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Does anyone else HATE it when people come by and touch your screen? I spend five whole minutes wiping it down with glass cleaner and a soft cloth, getting all the fingerprints off and then scrubbing away all the streaks and stuff, and someone comes round and it's "Hey, what's that icon for?!?" *SMUDGE* And they're completely oblivious to what they've just done! They're worse than people who talk loudly into their cell phones, or people who shop at the Gap. Anyone who lays a finger on my screen is going to get a kick in the nuts, and that's all there is to it. And if you don't have nuts, then watch those ovaries, because my foot is an equal-opportunity arse-kicker! I don't care if it's a touch screen or not - if you want to touch my screen and not walk away limping, you'd better be wearing latex gloves. Anyone want a ruck? Anyone? LET'S HAVE IT!!!

My body must be making too much testosterone lately...

4. TiMacLover thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2001
    Clovis, CA USA
    True, I hate that soo much, I feel your pain. Ever had dumbass PC users who like smach ur keys to screw ur typing or game?
  5. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    I go psycho when anyone touches my screen. Can't say I've ever kicked anyone in the nuts over it, though. Might try it next time... ;)
  6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    very interesting. weird that we never really heard about that....
  7. McFreggle macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2001
    Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
    YEAH! I'm with you!

Let's kick arses!
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    You guys have issues.... :p :p :p

Actually I do agree that screen touching is a no-no!! ;)

Although I'd never kick someone in the nuts because of it........ LOL that's harsh man!! :p
  9. pc_convert? macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2002
    One of the great things about older CRTs is the huge amount of static that can build up on the screen, people would only touch the screen once:D
  10. kishba macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2001
    my family isn't very understanding when i go pyscho over them touching my precious 17" apple lcd

my grandparents did it twice while they were visiting and i had to restrain myself
  11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I couldn't stand having finger prints all over my nice iBook screen (if I had one that is :) ).
    My screens have to be looking they're best all the time, or as best as they can :p
  12. mc68k macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    This is a pet peeve of mine. My solution: I make them clean the screen and think about what they've done. I guess sometimes I would like to kick them, but I gues I just pity them.

A monitor is an OUTPUT device, not an input device. Where I work, the monitors in the development room look like they've been completely coated with oll. Like someone rubbed their head all over them. Takes me 2-3 passes to get all the oil off. Very disgusting. I can just see them in there using their finger as a placeholder while they read a sentence or tracing a vector they drew.

People should learn proper computer etiquitte before they go touching a man's screen. Reminds me of the restaurant seen in Men at Work…
  13. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    isn't the whole point of the iBooks to be a low price laptop. if they had touch screens wouldn't that put the price up alot?
  14. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Not only would prices rise, but wouldn't the added layer of LC cause the iBook to become heavier? I would not be surprised to see this in desktop computers.

One layer of LCD at 14 inches goes high enough in price. Adding a second layer will not help.

cb911, well addressed.

And in reply to screen touching, for Mac LCDs, cleaning is easy. Just make sure the computer is off, spray a power towel or dust cloth with a touch of Windex (or whatever it is), then lighty and carefully wipe the surface.

The PCs at class are constantly bombarded with fingers, hands, and such. At least an LCD display will give people the sense of being more respectful to people's property.

Of course, it is a PC. So why am I complaining? :)

Any time is a great time for iPod.
  15. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    People touching my laptop screen drives me even crazier. Touch screens are great for people with disabilities, or for kiosks, but as I im not in either category, touch screens would be pointless to me. If Apple wants to add that as a built to order item, great for them, I don't think that would be any harder then having models with different HD sizes.
  16. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I hate that, my older brother used to do that a lot, and the worst thing is that he is all oily. When I made him clean the screen it was worst.

But do you know what I hate about the same??? all the hand oil in my optical mause. Do you know the pair of rounded shapes around the mouse? well, there is a lot of dirt in there and I can not open it up to cleaned.:(
  17. mcrain macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2002
    Touching a laptop screen is a big no-no, but in my world, I don't like it when you touch my computer in general. Don't mess with my computer unless you have specifically asked. There's a lot of time and effort spent on a lot of the stuff on there, and I don't like people messing around especially when they don't know what they are doing.

Hey, mymemory, I didn't recognize you now that you had an avatar. Hey there!
  18. Geert macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2001
    :p :p :p

(I'dd kick their nuts so hard that their breath would smell like shoepolish:D )
  19. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    those are wierd

Those "ibooks" look wierd, do they open like the regular ones!? I think they are ugly, they are an insult to my Key Lime iBook!!:mad:
  20. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    it would be interesting to actually try one of these out

i used to clean the screens on my laptops and desktops a lot, but after a year, i started paying more attention to other aspects of the computer besides cleaning and maintaining it

the best techies i know never seem to have the sides of their towers on and their monitors are "dusty"...i hope not to become that sloppy

...and if i start not to shower like many techies, then i am in real trouble:p