Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
My quick findings after using the touch bar. There is ample space for an escape button on the left, that would have calmed some of the criticism. Also, they should have cut the number pad keys in half and double the size of the touch bar (honestly make it as big as possible). It's very useful overall but it isn't perfect.

thedommer2000

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
I never use the function keys. I use tons of quick keys though. So this touchbar has got far more use from me than the fn row ever did. I have it setup so clicking the fn key brings up the audio controls because I never need fn keys. It's great and doesn't feel like an extra step since one hand clicks fn while the other clicks next song. The touchbar is not a game changer but it is actually useful and flows just fine. It will not disappear in the next mac. Can't wait to see how it integrates into studio one. I think that will be very useful.

I agree it could have been taller though. I don't miss the height but it would have been nice.

Random thought. I actually really like the touchbar in calculator.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Nice!

This thing has only been out a few weeks. We're just seeing the beginning of devs starting to get their mind around the possibilities (and, as mentioned in this story, the limitations).

People work with their computers in MANY different ways... the Touch Bar is definitely going to add new options for everyone. Each individual thing might not be for everyone... but what's wrong with more/new options?

Reactions: nitschi

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
This is exactly pointless command+tap is so much quicker. I would rather have a quick access application so I can remove my dock. For a laptop that would useful when you can use that extra space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huck

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I would rather have a quick access application so I can remove my dock. For a laptop that would useful when you can use that extra space.

Did you read the story? It talked about _two_ Touch Bar apps. The second one, Rocket, sounds like what you want (a "dock" in the Touch Bar).

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Again, they're trying to solve a problem that isn't there.
They've solved the problem of "How can I look even more trendy with my new $4000 MacBook Pro at the coffee shop so that I can show off to all of these random strangers?" The MBP is becoming more about looks and less about getting work done. It has become a glorified MacBook Air. It's a fashion statement more than a computer. It's a device that has lost all sense of direction. It's a laptop that not only forgets about but doesn't care about its core user base.

As a professional consumer of Apple hardware, this is what I'm hearing from Apple: "If you're a professional, then the MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and iPad Pro are not for you. Buy an iMac every two years you idiot." And like the lemming I am, I will fall in line this spring when they update for my work machine and at home when the hex-core Coffee lake iMacs come out.

xorjo

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Did you read the story? It talked about _two_ Touch Bar apps. The second one, Rocket, sounds like what you want (a "dock" in the Touch Bar).

That's not how it works. You need to hit the app icon on the menu bar first. Then it only fits like 5 apps there until you need to start scrolling to find the one you want. So first you need to drag the cursor to the menu bar, go to the touch bar, and look for the app you want, and back to the trackpad. If I had an option to have a mini dock there or within a touch of a button in the touch bar, that would be much better.

Reactions: mkeeley

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
As someone who always disabled the shortcut keys in favor of the function keys, I won't be remotely disappointed if the Touch Bar falls flat on its face.

It's almost comical that this Touch Bar revelation of theirs would come with the "pro" series laptops, because anyone who makes in depth use of adobe apps (and probably loads of other design software) will simply lament the loss of the function keys because countless keystroke shortcuts require them.

I don't think any professionals want to bank on their user experience on "Touch Bar support"
The vast majority of computer users are regular people who don't even know what a Function Key is, so a Touch Bar would appeal more to them. The only bad news is that it took a "pro" computer to introduce the Touch Bar in the first place, but I thought you could just enable virtual function keys anyways.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
You don't do it via mouse. Kb shortcut starts the rocket selector
OK, but you still have to take your hands off the keyboard (and your eyes off the screen) to find a tiny target on the touchbar. Since you're starting this thing off with a keyboard shortcut, might as well just use option+tab in the first place.

And for non-running apps, I'm sure it's still faster to use the keyboard-based launcher of your choice (Spotlight, Alfred, etc) to quickly type part of the name of the app.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
They've solved the problem of "How can I look even more trendy with my new $4000 MacBook Pro at the coffee shop so that I can show off to all of these random strangers?" The MBP is becoming more about looks and less about getting work done. It has become a glorified MacBook Air. It's a fashion statement more than a computer. It's a device that has lost all sense of direction. It's a laptop that not only forgets about but doesn't care about its core user base.

Nailed it!

Reactions: Huck and mkeeley

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
That's not how it works. You need to hit the app icon on the menu bar first. Then it only fits like 5 apps there until you need to start scrolling to find the one you want. So first you need to drag the cursor to the menu bar, go to the touch bar, and look for the app you want, and back to the trackpad. If I had an option to have a mini dock there or within a touch of a button in the touch bar, that would be much better.

Again: you seem to be looking at the wrong app.

Look at Rocket: http://julianthayn.com/rocket

It fits _10_ apps and is "invoked using a keyboard shortcut"

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
easy to poo-poo these apps b/c they don't seem very useful. but hey, it's something new and they're examples of people trying to figure out ways to utilize the touch bar. no one really knows how useful or redundant the touch bar is, but it's apps like these that help people see what is useful, what is not, etc. we need more of these kinds of people instead of the "critics" who pan apps without trying to come up with useful alternatives.

Reactions: friedmud

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The responses to all the touchbar threads are eerily reminiscent of the early responses to the iPod, iPhone and iPad launch threads.

Yep.

In the same way people yelling about the removal of USB2 ports and headphone jacks sound exactly like people yelling about the removal of ethernet ports, ADB ports, CDROM ports, floppy ports, firewire ports, etc.

Apple is always moving forward. If they weren't... we would never get anywhere. All of these luddites that rail against every new thing Apple does are almost always wrong. Apple does still have misses like any other company... but nowhere near the the amount everyone here predicts!.

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I really don't think anyone can have anything approaching an informed opinion on the Touch Bar without putting in some time with it. Fiddling with it in the Apple Store ain't gonna cut it.

I like it. I don't love it but it's an improvement over what it replaced for my usage which is good enough for something in its infancy with very little software support at the moment.

I do love seeing people with existing workflows dub anything they don't need/want as "useless."

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Let's be frank Apple, you said touch screens are not very ergonomic, but looking up and down on 2 screens is worse!

Disagree, the touch bar isn't that far from the screen. And the slider functionality works just fine without looking at it once you have your finger down. I'm a fast typist that doesn't have to look at the keys to type, but I still have to look at the function row for any of those keys anyway (I can't blindly hit F6 or something every time I want it). I don't see a difference there with the Touch Bar (except now I get a context sensitive hint at what the F key actually does in the app).

Cankoda

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Canada
That's actually really good to know, but it doesn't make me feel better about 2 button keystrokes turing into 3 button combinations, or even worse, 3 button keystrokes turning into 4.

I guess really what I fear is a game of twister..

if you go into keyboard settings the touch bar can be set to display function keys by default

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.