Tough Decision for a Display. Help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Opticdraft, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Opticdraft macrumors member

Mar 21, 2005
    Hay, I REALLY want a 23" but they are really expensive so should I get:

Apple 20" display : $899 (student discount)

The OLD MODEL Apple 23" Display (clear bezel) About : $1200 (ebay) Wont come with a warranty which really sucks. Is it even worth it without a warranty?

Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch : $1200 This one I'm guessing would not be as sharp as the others (pixel per inch) cuz it has the same res as a 23" but stretched an extra inch or am I mistaken on how that works?

Or just spend the Big bucks, which is really hard to do instead of throwing it at the hardware (im getting a G5 in June so trying to save money for that) and get a Apple 23" Dislay : $1599 (student discount)?

Its a tough one so pleas help me... :)
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I wouldn't recommend the old-school 23 inch screen so I'd try to decide between the Dell and the 20 inch Apple display because the 23 inch screen by Apple is pretty overpriced. I suppose it kinda comes down to whether you want a smaller screen that looks good or a perfectly adequate screen (which the Dell is) that doesn't have the prettiness of the Apple.
  3. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I think it really comes down to aesthetics.

If you want a matching monitor, go for it, if it is not that big a deal, a lot of folks here have excellent luck with the Dells.

I'm one of those weirdos who just can't bring themself to have a non-Apple monitor, so I went for the ACD.

If you can afford the 23", go for it, you'll end up wanting the real estate especially if you do photo or graphic work. $1599.00 is $400.00 less than this monitor cost last year.
  4. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Go with the Dell.

Excellent value for money, enthusiastically endorsed by many MR members, and remember that each generation of LCD's is quite a bit better than the last.
  5. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    I just wish it had a firewire hub built into it. I'm almost decided to go ahead and get the apple 23" because with it, I basically don't need a docking station for my powerbook. If only the screen had audio outputs too!
  6. dgpaulk macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2005
    Get the dell if you look around you can find coupons and get it down to around 800.
  7. Opticdraft thread starter macrumors member

Mar 21, 2005
    So it sounds like the dell is the way to go then.

But I am still wondering... So you think its a bad idea to get the ACD (old) model 23" from somewhere like ebay. I have heard its a really good monitor (of course not as good as the current) or is it still not worth it compared with a dell ? I guess I am just wanting to buy apple but if Dell really makes as good of a monitor as apple then I might have to go that route.

For example is the pixel pitch comparable with the apple display's 0.258 mm because I dont even see it published on Dell's site.

thankyou so much.
  8. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    The Apple store has a few refurbed 23" Cinemas for around $1399 from time to time. I think there is one on there now. You still get the one year warranty and I'm sure you can buy AppleCare on it as well. Can't beat the price!