Tough to return BTO MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mcpix, May 22, 2006.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

I know there are lots of satisfied MacBook owners out there, but there are just enough complaints to have me concerned.

If I configure my own MacBook and then have problems, is it difficult to return it for another one? Would I be better off just buying the stock MacBook at an Apple retail store? Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can't return BTO models. They'll fix any problems you have, but you can't return it.

3. idkfa macrumors regular

They will repair it of course, and most likely replace it if the damage was that bad, providing of course it was not direct negligence.

Anything personalized, whether it be engraved iPods, or a built to order MacBook with a slightly different hd, cannot be refunded.

Why would you want to return it though? I am just curious...

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That sucks. Is it an USA policy only, as in UK & Ireland we are covered by our consumer rights and Apple can't pull that ****.

I've returned BTO machines without any problems...

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

1) As it was said you can't return a BTO Powerbook
    2) IF you buy a standard macbook online or in the apple retail store, you have the same return period. If you open it and use it, you will be subject to a restocking fee.

If you're really that worried about all of these issues the best thing to do is wait till Revision B ... usually most of the initial abnormal things are worked out and problems are more freak things or individual things you cause.

Also what kind of BTO are you considering ... I mean if its a user upgradeable part then no reason to have apple do it.

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

What are you BTOing, just the HD? Just buy the stock one, and purchase a larger HD to put in (it's really easy). This way, it'll be stock and you won't have to worry about BTO.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

just buy the stuff separate, that way you have spare parts if the HD or ram fails.

8. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Not to change the subject, but what complaints?

Seriously, aside from people disappointed in the intergrated graphics and the $150 premium for black, I've seen no bad words spoken about the MacBook.

Anyone care to share?

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

The thermal paste issue is worrying some people still....not sure what else, now that the black finish peeling off was determined to be only an isolated issue.

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yea, but that was on the Pros; there's been no indication (that I know of) that the MB has the same issue.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

A key from the keyboard fell off and this new style means that the keyboard cannot be replaced w/out replacing the whole casing since it's now part of the laptop's casing. :shrug: I think that's it. That and some people say it runs too hot for their taste.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I read somewhere (can't recall for the life of me where) that that's not true. Those initial fears have been shown to be unfounded.

Some discussion of MacBooks having the same "problem" here. I don't think it's manifesting itself with actual operational problems from the heat, but they do seem to have gone overboard with the thermal paste application. (Yet another thread diverted to thermal paste discussion...sorry.)

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

excessive heat, keyboard keys falling off, warped plastic, poorly applied thermal paste, whining, mooing, paint peeling, sharp plastic edges, squeeky hinges, im sure there are more.

14. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I was thinking about getting a bigger hard drive.

So, I'm thinking at this point I should just buy the stock unit. Thanks!

15. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Not a problem here
    One user
    One user
    Speculation. MB internal pictures suggest less thermal paste is used on these models.
    So quiet you can not hear it unless in relative silence
    One instance, may have been a pre=production model
    Not on mine or any other MB i have used
    The plastic hinges for the screen do squeak a bit

The only real "problem" is the whining/mooing, and thats a non-issue to me along with other users. The volume of said whining/mooing is around 40dB, which is under the normal noise floor in most environments.

Unless you have a MB, quit complaining or commenting on MB "problems".
    All of us happy MB owners will appreciate it!

16. superwoman macrumors regular

How did you determine 40dB?

Also, HDD noise is around 2+ Bels (from manufacturer's specifications), or 20+dB, maybe 30dB tops. If the whining/mooing is indeed 40dB, then it is at least 10 or 100 times noisier than the HDD (for 10dB and 20dB difference respectively). Now that would be a real concern!

17. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

faintember already addressed this, but it looks like to me that a number of "one off" problems that are not representative of the line itself are being incorrectly attributed to the MacBooks (not Pros).

In any case, if this is something the OP *really* is concerned about then a stock unit from a local Store would seem to be the way to go.

18. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

The noise floor in my apt is anywhere from 32-34dB. If i can barely hear the whine(i.e. putting my ear to the case of my MB), i think some where around 40dB is correct. Consider that 30dB is relative to a room with no one talking and 40dB is relative to a whisper.

An relative dB chart can be found here for reference.

I agree with Abulia that a stock unit is the way for the OP to go.

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm so terribly sorry to offend you :p

i wasnt saying they are all true! he asked "what complaints have there been?" Those are all complaints i have read. All that stuff is floating around not just here but on other forums. and because YOU dont have a problem, doesn't mean every macbook is perfect so let the people be weary of adopting a new product, jeez you need to lighten up a little.

20. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I am not attacking you, but rather the numerous attempts from people to discredit the MB as a POS. Your post could be taken the wrong way, so i decided to expand upon it.

BTW, the info in my post was taken from all of the posts on MR and related links to other forums concerning the MB. Heat is a discretionary measure, as is the whine/moo.

I believe my mood is quite light enough, as it is from an informed mindset, using a MB, that is tired of MB slander.:cool:

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, so, just out of curiosity, I know the time honored position is that Apple doesn't take back BTO's. But then it's also a well-known piece of scuttlebutt that refurbs more than occasionally come loaded with some kind of upgrade goodies. I.E. they were BTO's before they became refurbs. Were they really all defective? The process of refurbing a defective machine is presumably much more intensive than a returned but functional one. The logic board is frequently implicated, and if you get so far as pulling it out, it seems hard to believe upgrades like RAM would get put back in, since that would be added labor. It seems much more likely that a number of them were BTO's that were returned but not defective....

22. EricChunky macrumors regular

:)

23. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

10dB difference = twice as loud in human perception, not 10 times. But twice the noise of quiet still isn't "loud."

24. superwoman macrumors regular

Quite true. Thanks for the correction.