Tour de France 2004

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rower_CPU, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The TdF is underway folks, so let's get some discussion going. :)

Do you think Lance has what it takes for his 6th consecutive "maillot jaune"? Who do you think will be his toughest competition? What do you think of the course this year compared to previous years? etc.

Any TdF followers from last year's thread still around? Any new folks on the forums that are getting wrapped up in "the cyclism"?

2. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I hope he does win it again. I am a survivor of the same type of Cancer as he. The way gas prices are, I am traveling a lot more by bicycle instead of using the car. I suspect Tyler Hamilton and Jan Ullrich to be the toughest competition, though so far they seem to be farther back in the standings.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ahh a TdF thread ...last year for the first time i watched nearly every day...
    i guess ulrich is amstrongs strongest opponent.. he's in good condition this year...
    the results untill now literally say nothing ;) ... what ever is gained now could be lost in the mountains within half an hour

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    go lance!!! hes in 3rd now but the mountains havent come up yet sigh i cant wait till him and jan and him gohead to head

5. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

for me the TDF is the most important sports event after soccer world and european cup...

GO JAN!!!

I might even go to the stages in the alps this year... we'll see how everything works out at university. :)

vSpacken

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah i know what you mean...always amazing to watch them cycle up a hill faster than myself rolling down on the other side of a hill...

boy i nearly forgot about the summer olympics...they are this year too....
    (personally i rate skiing second to soccer...you know it's the only sports where our nation is good)

7. Apple //e macrumors 6502

i hope jan ullrich will finally get his act together and win it again.

but the prologue has left some doubt in ullrichs tt ability.

unless ullrich gains over a minute on lance in the mountains for each tt stage left, i think this is going to be #6 for armstrong

but then theres always the chance a relative unknown comes along and wins it (rijs)

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im curious who will win the polka dot jersey this year!!! any predictions people?

and which team will do the best over all. us postal has a strong team, but they race to help lance

9. Apple //e macrumors 6502

polka dot: mayo or heras
    best team: telekom or us postal

i just realized there is an uphill time trial. thats going to be great. i wish pantani was still around

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You know what I like to see at the Tour? The great sportmanship that this race fosters. No doubt it isn't always that way in practice, but it does show us a good example compared with other sports where opponent=personal enemy seems to be the guiding principle.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

as long as he doesnt crash, i think lance will get 6. carmichael, his old coach, has been saying all year that he's back to his 2002 shape. also, the us postal team is so much stronger this year.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It will really be amazing if Lance manages to pull off another win - its got to be a lot of pressure for him and the rest of the cyclists in the race - knowing that he's the man to beat. I'll be out of touch for a while and I'll probably only get into it close to the end :D

D

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If Lance wins, it'll make for the best inspirational made-for-TV movie: Courage on Wheels: The Lance Armstrong Story.

Come to think of it, if he loses it'll probably still make a good movie.

Or have they already made one? :confused:

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think heras and mayo will be trying too hard to get the yellow to care about the polka dot. i'd go with virenque just because he will be focused on getting climber points instead of conserving energy to win the yellow. (for example, virenque last year went solo to get points in intermediate 1st and HO category climbs to ensure he'd get the polka dot. heras or mayo can't afford to do that as they'd risk losing too much time for the stage finish.)

though with his nearly 4 min. loss today, there's a chance mayo (rather, his team) will shift the focus away from yellow and go for polka dot, leaving zubeldia to chase the yellow..? (edit: nevermind, forgot that zubeldia also had to go back to help mayo. so he lost time too. i think mayo peaked too early, at dauphene..?) (doubt it. l'alpe d'huez TT will keep many, many riders away from giving up on the yellow this soon.)

telekom or us postal will win the team time trial. but i think neither will win the best team - both will be too consumed with getting their leaders to the podium. telekom would have been an amazing team had vinokourov made it to tdf.

i'm surprised petacchi hasn't won a stage yet.

l'alpe d'huez TT will be an amazing stage. can't wait...

personally, i'd like to see hamilton shine. make it onto the podium, at the least. it'll be one heck of a battle between lance and ullrich. and just because of the history of the tour, i'd go with ullrich winning. if indurain nor mercxx nor hinault couldn't do it when they were 32...

we should all remember that no one thought indurain wouldn't win the 6th...

15. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Go Lance!

sorry, I'm an austinite, gotta support my hometown heroes!

16. Apple //e macrumors 6502

i just dont see a pure climber like heras or mayo winning the overall. pantani was an exception, he put so much time on his rivals on the climbing stage and pulled the tt of his life to win yellow

but maybe with the uphill tt this will change

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i agree (but i don't think neither heras or mayo will give up on yellow and pursue polka dot.) heras will need a miracle l'alpe d'huez TT to win. mayo was surprisingly good at TT last year, but today's 4 min. deficit will seriously hinder his chances. i just can't see lance, jan AND tyler letting him get away so much that mayo will be able to make that up. (not to mention the fact TTT will further increase that deficit before we are even near the mountains...)

i'm sticking jan, lance then tyler...

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I think Mayo showed today that his team just isn't up to the task. I'm going to have to count him out of the yellow unless a miracle happens.

Heras has shown a surprising fortitude, and his team seems a lot stronger than Mayo's but unless he's severely improved his TT abilities, he's still a long shot.

Tyler, well, he's already fallen and broken his handlebars once on this tour...

So it comes down to Jan and Lance. I'm not even going to try and call it until we see a bit more of their form. Right now Lance appears to have the edge (stong team, and a faster TT at the beginning) but you never know.

Some will be answered in the TTT performance and whether or not Postal burned a bit too much today.

19. Mr Poop E Pantz macrumors member

I picked Lance before the race and I can't see any reason to change my vote now. I thinking his biggest threat will end up being Tyler. Jan is dangerous too, but that TT up l'alpe d'huez is going to be interesting. Jan isn't as explosive on the climbs, he seems to do better holding a wheel than he does riding on his own. That should keep him out of yellow.

Still some time before we get to that though. For now its about the sprinters and seeing if Cipollini can win a stage before he drops out.

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

no doubt... kind of a shame that we dont get to see how that would have turned out.

i was impressed with postal today... very good work through the cobbled section

but what was it with people switching bikes, just for that section? seems lame to me...

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So what's the best stats/course website for this years race?

D

22. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i use www.eurosport.com (it has a pretty good live text coverage, which i use while at work...), but i imagine the official tdf site is also good...

i had no idea they had changed the rule for TTT. it was kind of unfair last year.

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Lance, Jan, Tyler being everybody's favorites, I'll go out and take the less travelled road:

the Basso/Julich duo and Team CSC

you heard it here first ;)

24. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i think that espn.com tour tracker is pretty decent

25. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

The eurosport and oln live audio feeds are driving me crazy.

Last year they didn't have nearly enough bandwidth and it kept cutting out, then they didn't fix it for this year!

There's nothing worse than having Phil and Paul calling it as they come around the corner for the sprint then .... silence.