Tour de France 2005

Discussion in 'Community' started by wPod, Jul 1, 2005.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I am surprised I have not seen a 2005 TDF thread yet! This could be a very exciting year with Armstrong announcing his retirement. It could be a slow year if Armstrong just rides slow and waves goodbye, but come on, that is NOT the way Armstrong would ever ride. I imagine he is shooting for number 7!!! Who is your favorite for this year? Ullrich, Basso, Vinokourov, Voeckler, McEwen, Mayo, or will we see someone new come shooting to the top? I think the course will be very interesting this year with the individual time trials at the beginning and end of the race, without one in the middle. Though I imagine by the time trial at the end the outcome will already be determined from the mountain stages. The time trial could be very exciting if the few top riders are very close in time. But as with the past years with Armstrong he usually gets a pretty big time gap through the mountains. I hope this year the tour is very exciting and all the riders stay healthy.

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

riiiiiiiight. what an amazing contribution. :rolleyes:

Did anyone catch "The science of Lance Armstrong"? I think it was on the Discovery channel. I'm so mad I missed it!

4. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

Hey, it has been a few years since there was a BIG scandal behind doping in cycling. There are always dope scandals here and there in any pro sports. At least cycling is looking better than baseball right now! So, enough with the doping talk, what is your favorite cycling team in the tour this year?

5. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yeah Im really excited to watch it this year. I finaly got OLN so I can see it daily. I hope lance can pull of his 7th that would be amazing.

whocares why such the atitude towards the tour? There will always be drugs in prosports.

6. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I missed that too! Im pissed. Lance is so incredably awsome.

7. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Riiiiiiiiight. The scandals have stopped because the cyclists are always one step ahead. Why do you think it's always sportsmen from "poor" countries that get caught? Baceause Lance and fellow "rich" cyclists can afford expensive quasi-undetectable products...

Face it, cycling is full of dope-heads.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I forgot it and caught just the end. I'm definitively gonna see the first re-run I can, seemed very good from the little I saw.

I think Basso will be Armstrong's strongest competitor this year. T-Mobile has too many potential contenders, but of course if Ullrich, Vinokourov and Klöden agrees internally to work for one of them, that rider might come to Paris in the yellow jersey.

As for the green jersey I have to hope for Hushovd from Credit Agricol, but McEwen, Boonen, Cooke and maybe even Hushovd's old team "mate" O'Grady might spoil the chance of the first Norwegian jersey winner in TDF.

As for the climbers jersey: Any clue to who might take that home now that Virenque is out? Or will Armstrong just take that too, no that Virenque isn't going on his usual kamikaze solo-raids for climbing points...?

9. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

As if it weren't true. Stop the denial :rolleyes:

I'm not making a value judgement on people watching/following the Tour. I'm just saying I personnaly couldn't care less for a bunch of dope-heads cycling around on public roads that the French tax payer pays for and can't even use for a whole day while the friggin' Tour goes by promoting the perversions big money brings to sport. :mad:

10. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Read post #9 ;)

11. efoto macrumors 68030

Combine this and post #9 together ;), as you say :rolleyes:
    Again, a splendid contribution :p

I don't think there is that much doping going on. Take a look at someone who is actually devoted to what they do, in this case Lance Armstrong. If your living was off of cycling you would ride a hell of lot, therefore become excellent at what you do. It is quite obvious he has the genes for it, look at him :eek:, that doesn't instantly make him a doper simply because he is the best at what he does.
    If a company as big as Nike ran an add silencing the dope rumors (last year during TDF I think) then I would assume they probably ran their own checks to make sure the endorsement wouldn't come back to bite them in the but.

If you just want to hate for the sake of hating, go for it.

I think that even if Lance will announce his retirement this year, he is still going to ride hard as hell and try to win. What better way to go out then on top?
    He will probably be just like Michael Jordan, retire and then come back, retire and come back, repeat repeat, whatever. Then he finally retires and buys a team or something :p
    Either way, my vote is on Lance, as usual.

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Let me guess. You're not American?

13. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I don't think there is much chance for someone recuperating from testicular cancer and going on to win 6 consecutive tours competing against other top cyclers who are/were on doping substances. Anyway, this isn't againt Lance, it's againt cycling as a whole.

And maybe take some pills to help win/earn some money. :eek: :rolleyes:

14. efoto macrumors 68030

Haha, he is just upset because the representatives from his country never win :p

15. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I'm not quite sure what you mean here :confused:

No, I'm not american, and living in France brings an all new perspective on cycling and the tour, like what a waste of tax payers money to see a bunch of sky high fairies cycle around the country.

Many people obviously have an idialized views of the tour (and many other sporting events) and have little to no idea to how they work.

16. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Amusing, but untrue :p ;)

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think they are all doped, and I don't particularly care.

lance is the obvious favourite, especially considering the team he has. but I hope that ivan and jan can give him a run for the money. I would also watch out for savoldelli if lance gets a bad day early on (very unlikely, i know).

is OLN going to have live coverage?

18. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Exactly. The French even altered the tour in order to play to Lance's weaknesses last year and he STILL won. You're telling me that they're not using every single dope detection method known in order to disqualify him? They probably have him stand naked in front of them to pee in a cup. It absolutely KILLS them to have an AMERICAN continue to own their event.
    He's clean and possesses the heart and genes of a champion.

19. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Big events seldom help the host country or city. Other than the publicity, the Olympics are a wash for any country that holds them. We've got a Live 8 event going on in Philadelphia tomorrow and I am getting OUT OF TOWN. A million idiots making a mess of The Parkway. 1 toilet for every 1000 people. The mayor thinks we might break even. Ain't gonna happen.

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If whocares will stop with the trolling, maybe we can discuss TDF. :rolleyes:

Of course, if a major drugs scandal should occur during this years race we can come back to that issue...

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm looking for #7!

I was a more rabid fan in the past (when I actually got out and rode my bike like I'm supposed to :eek: ), but I watched the whole tour last year and it was still exciting. It's hard not to be cynical about the drug scandals but you don't need them to win, and winning doesn't mean you're doping. Innocent until proven guilty.

The USPS team - is there life after Lance?

22. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

If it's the generally idea that I'm trolling, I'll be quite happy to leave this thread.

The thread topic is "Tour de France 2005" and hence may include doping and other such issues. :rolleyes: indeed.

So maybe someone does see where I'm coming from.

Maybe, but I'm not French and couldn't care less who wins ;)

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I guess Team Discovery Channel (;)) will be there next year, too, even if Armstrong has retired. Even if they don't replace him (is that even possible?) they still have a couple of contenders in the team today. It would be very interesting to see what Azevedo could do if the whole team was pulling for him, he finished in 5th place last year, as Armstrong's helper!

24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

that's why i think savoldelli shouldd be kept an eye on. he won the Giro this year.

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911