Tour de France - and the winner is?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr Poop E Pantz, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Mr Poop E Pantz macrumors member

Just curious who will be following the upcoming tour de france and if any one would like to make any predictions on who is going to win. With only a little over a week to go it seemed like as good a time as any to ask.

So who will win:

Lance Armstrong (and set a new record),
    Jan Ullrich,
    Iban Mayo,
    Tyler Hamilton,
    or someone else?

It's going to be Lance, but I think it will be the hardest he is pushed yet. The time trial on L'Alpe d'Huez is going to be huge and I would love to be there but will have to settle for watching on TV.

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    lance all the way...

and i think it will be much easier for him this year. it seems the course and mountain time trials favor him.

i'm assuming the coverage of it will suck here in the u.s. just like it did last year...probably got about 15 minutes total coverage until lance won it. :mad:

3. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

Armstrong lost by 2 minutes overall to Mayo in the recent Dauphine Libere, with most of that time lost on the Mont Ventoux Time Trial, and ended up in 4th place behind Hamilton and Sevilla, both of whom put time into him on Mont Ventoux; Ullrich just won the Tour of Switzerland and so is coming into form at just the right time.

Far from being "much easier" I'd say this was going to be Armstrong's toughest Tour yet. The others need to work together to contain the USP train in the mountains, then attack Armstrong repeatedly. He won't be able to counter every attack, and with Mayo and Hamilton beating him on Ventoux his confidence may have taken a knock.

I think we'll be in for a real scrap this year!

4. Apple //e macrumors 6502

ive been out of the cycling scene for a while but id like to see an ullrich victory.

hes a great cyclist and i wouldnt want him to go down in the history books as the joop zoetemelk of the 2000´s

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    id love to see lance set a new record, would be a great way to end a already illustrious career

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

It's a tight call between Armstrong and Ullrich this year, and I think their battles are going to leave a litter of bodies behind them.

Ullrich looks to be in amazing form this year, and has a raw talent that is unmatched.

We all know that Armstrong is meticulous in his preparation, and will peak at the right time. I don't think we should read much into his performance in the Dauphine; he's aiming everything at the TDF.

Both of them have strong teams.

I can't wait, and it will be an epic battle :)

7. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

If you get OLN you they do cover the entire race (well the last 2 - 3 hours of each stage) live.

If you don't, and have to put up with the NBC Sunday only coverage, you have my condolences.

8. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

But Armstrong normally uses the Dauphine as part of his preparation for the Tour, and apart from gifting an overall victory to Hamilton a few years ago he normally likes to win the race. He may just be playing mind games though, letting his rivals believe he's not as strong as in previous years ;)

Whatever happens, four real contenders this year should make this one a classic.

9. Mr Poop E Pantz thread starter macrumors member

Anyone think Cipollini will get a stage win or is he too old and the competition too good? I'm saying he won't get any stage wins but I hope he does. He brings personality to the sport and it would be nice to see him get a stage after the fiasco in the Giro.