Tourists Finding It's a Big World After All

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Sep 13, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-tourism13sep13,1,4933944.story

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The price we pay for Fortress America ™ is a lot greater than most people realize.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's only annoying when people don't do the right thing. I had no problems getting in and out of the states last time. Mind you, being able to do a full on ocker accent helps - it's funny that an accent we despise here opens so many doors there.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You do have the advantage of being pink.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pink? Mate, I see so little of the sun I'm closer to pale blue. Take my shirt off and you can see my heart like a newborn fish.

6. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I thought I was the only one

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well not only brazilians have to drive hundred of miles to get a visa ... it's like that pretty much everywhere where there are no biometrical information in the passport... and you have to arrange it through a costly phone number ( 3-5€ a minute) when you have the "personal interview"
    oh and every person needs a visa & passport ... even babies ... having your children written in your passport isn't enough for the US
    for a family of 4 with 2 no passport children that's what ? 2 new passports for the kids (= 200€) + 4 visas (= 300-400 €) makes combined 500-600... nice extra cost isn't it ... even without the passports it's plenty

and even then you get treated like a criminal when entering the US while meanwhile the fingerprints scanned at the arriving US airport aren't even compared with non US databases since the _US_ refused to cooperate ...

that means somebody, which for example the german/austrian police is looking for, might enter without a problem

and that aside you might get refused entry anyway like it happened to a girl from my school:
    "your passport is fake, you are not allowed to enter, take the next plane home" without further explanation

it should be no surprise that a alot of europeans rather make holidays inside europe/turkey/north-africa etc. where it's not only cheaper but much more easier for traveling

at least the US isn't the only one having problems *cough* Isreal *cough*

edit: and it's only going to get a worse since a lot of eastern european countries are becoming more and more popular for holidays even more so when they become members of the Schengen treaty and/or adopt the euro... i just have to look at the hordes of people traveling to hungary or chez republic the last years

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That is true, however, Dubrovnik isn't San Francisco and Budapest isn't Boston. The inherent appeal remains despite the difficulties in getting here. Some people aren't deterred at all while others are not willing to spend the money and time necessary and I don't blame them.

It's cost the US airline industry quite a lot as many Europe bound flights from South America used to transit the US. Now with the cost and hassle of a transit visa, airports like Cancun are seeing a huge uptick in flights due to people wanting to avoid the transit costs of the US. Much less the threat, real or imagined of flying on a US flagged carrier.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is really a lot like the golden arches theory. Global businesses are *the biggest* fans of peace and stability in the world. Of course they are. Every war kills their customers, future or present. And cold hostility situations with embargoes and so on hurt them too. Who wants that?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

!!!!!

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I don't have access to the LA Times article link, so this is just from what's printed. Does it mention what specific agenda items they plan to address while in DC? MPRS (Marketable Public Relations Strategy) will have about as much long term effect and short term impact on MFPS (Misguided Foreign Policy Spin) as toothlessly gumming the devil.

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ah, so that's the glow I see on the western horizon.

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here's the rest of the article. Not much in the way of specifics, I'm afraid.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Thank you. It's the last phrase, "Other countries have publicly supported efforts to sell themselves," Rasulo said. "By and large, we have abandoned the task of marketing America.", which more or less confirms my doubts in upgrading to "cautiously optimist".

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Everybody got their passports so they can come back from a day-trip to Canada or Mexico, next year?

'Rat

16. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've had a passport since I was a teenager. But I can tell you a lot of people are going to get blind-sided by this new requirement. Last summer we went on an Alaska cruise, all ports in the US except for the ship's final port of call, Vancouver, BC. We were bussed straight from the cruise terminal to the airport for our flights home. Along the way our documents for re-entry into the good old USA were checked. One woman without a passport had an unacceptable copy of her birth certificate and was told this would not be good enough. She was frantically making cell phone calls on the bus trying to find someone at home who could help her scare up something more acceptable. I never did find out what happened to her.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the border crossing where i most felt like a criminal was going from hungary to romania, at 3 in the morning, up near the ukraine, in 1993.

until i flew back from heathrow last summer, through raleigh. if that's how they're treating citizens, i can't imagine how foreigners must feel. and now with all 10 fingers printed. sheesh.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hell, you're lucky they decided to allow you back in.

Apparently they don't have to.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

probably just an oversight. i may be visiting england again in a few months, so they'll have another shot at it. kind of like kicking out the bass player by breaking up the band and reforming without him.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I´m seriously thinking of flying out of Canada the next time I go to Europe. I just don´t see the point of supporting such an oppressive system.

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm thinking of flying out of TO to BC next time I want go to L.A.