Toxic dog/cat food

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Passante, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Please check if you have a pet.

A pet-food company has advised retailers in more than 20 states to stop selling some of its dog and cat food that may be contaminated with toxic fungus. Several dogs have gotten sick, and some have died.

The fungus produces poisonous aflatoxin. Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include lethargy, loss of appetite, yellowish eyes and gums, and severe or bloody diarrhea.

The 19 varieties of dog and cat food recalled this week were made by Diamond Pet Foods and sold in 23 states under the brand names Diamond, Country Value and Professional. The recalled batches have date codes of March 1, 2007, through June 21, 2007, and were made at the company's plant in Gaston, S.C.

more:
    http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/13477552.htm

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Might be a good time to toss the Professional name.

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'll only feed my cat natural foods, and there's a few good ones actually. although we're now moving her onto a raw diet, which i would highly recommend for any cat or dog, so much better for them than tins and dry food.

but thanks for the heads up, appreciate it, i'd never have known about it otherwise.

4. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information. I only use Nutro Pet Food. It doesn't have any bad stuff in it and it isnt' terribly expensive or exclusive.

It is amazing what companies can put in their pet foods. Gross. I am sure it was unintentional to have toxic mold included in the food, however I am sure it doesn't help to start out with some of the most disgusting forms of nutrition. Ever wonder what Poultry Digest is? Or perhaps, the animal-by-product?

It is hard to find pet food without it.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Luckily, we don't sell any of those brands at my store.