Toy laptops?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Daringescape, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Daringescape macrumors regular

May 7, 2003
    Does anyone know if there is a toy mac laptop out there anywhere?

I have an 18 month old and would love to get him something like this. I have searched ebay, but only found some that look like windows machines. I will get him one of those if I have to, but it kind of pains me inside.

I know that they wont be licensed or anything, but I figured if anyone knew about them it would be here.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were an apple-y looking one out there, but don't you think 18 months is a little young?
    I assume you're talking about those Learning Laptops like this batman one? 18 months may be a little young for that...
  3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    well not really a "toy" you might wanna scower ebay for a clamshell g3 iBook as they look pretty kid friendly. Perhaps 18 months is a bit young, but assuming the kid doesn't pure juice into it you'll have a machine that they can enjoy for a few years and they'll always remember as their first computer.
  4. HugMnster macrumors member

Mar 31, 2006
    Tyler, Tx
    I would wait for a bit if I were you. We tried the leapster or what ever it was for 1 to 3 year olds an our 18 month at that time only was interested in turning it on an off. just not at 3 1/2 getting her to play with it an do it right.

5. Daringescape thread starter macrumors regular

May 7, 2003
    The reason I am looking for one is because I am a work at home dad (graphic designer) and my son always wants to push the keys on my laptop and is very curious about what I am doing on it.

I figure if I get him his own "laptop" he will be excited to have one like daddy and will stop touching mine. (sounds mean, I know)
  6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    it doesn't sound mean. My 4-year old nephew likes to do that to my laptop. I eventually got a free PowerBook 150 at a swap meet for him to bang around on :)
  7. Roba macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2006
    I taught my nephew how to use a computer at about 15 months old. He never had one of his own though he just used mine or his families computer at home. He could work the BBC Cbeebies (which is a kids) website on his own and navigate using a mouse back then.
    He is 3 now and quite a pro at it.
  8. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006
    When I was a kid (awhile ago) my dad let me play around on a Sharp laptop he had. This was in the early days of portable computers, probably about 1990. See if you can find an old laptop somewhere with a working display that you can pick up for free. Craigslist is good for this. If it's just for your toddler to bang around really shouldn't matter what "brand" it is.
  9. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Aug 15, 2006
    The Rainbow Nation RSA
    You child will jump for joy when he sees this coming down the alley: link...!
  10. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2006
    North of where I'd like to be
    At 18 months, toddlers are still putting things in their mouth to learn about them. They also can, at any point, decide that the computer would make a really interesting hat. :eek: Real computers, toy computers not made for toddlers (i.e., 1-3) are not a good idea unless you are really supervising them.
  11. shu82 macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2007
    Rocket City, AL
    You could always get a clamshell ibook and superglue it to a playtable. I bet he could get away with banging it with his fists, just by the sturdy construction. You would not have to worry about him dropping it or nocking it on the floor. Using a real computer at a young age is a great way to learn how to read.

"What does this say son?" "Mac- in - tosh!!!"