Toyota confirms Bridgestone switch

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Sep 10, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Yey!!! :D this should help Ferrari and Bridgestone massively for next season when Schu will reclaim his title. ;) :D

Rinky dink link

Thoughts?

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, at any rate it seems that two tire suppliers will be around for another season anyway.

Michelin was superior this year but Bridgestone was handicapped by developing for essentially one team (sorry Jordan/Minardi). Maybe we'll see more parity next season since the Toyota is a competitive car, if not a true contender for top honors.

3. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

I think that's a good move. Toyota need to find that extra bit of something to push them onto the top tier of F1. A tire differential could just be that help. Plus it means next year at Indianapolis we'll at least have 8 cars on the grid ;)

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Tell me about it... :( according to Todt, both of those teams are using last years rubber. :eek:

:p :p :p

Williams are switching too now, which is very good news, although Red Bull's Snr and Jnr squads are staying on Michelins which is surprising considering their tie-up with Ferrari for engines.

It could be a good call by Toyota and Wiiliams though, especially given the rumours that Michelin are calling it quits at the end of next season, that could well give the Bridgestone teams an advantage come the '07 season whilst the remaining Michelin teams adapt to the Bridgestone design.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This just makes me wonder how long the two-tire provider thing will last.

I wonder how much the US GP incident played into Toyota's or Williams' decision.

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

considering the slanging match Michelin and the FIA have been having this past weekend, I suspect Michelin will try and pull out at the end of '06... leaving Bridgestone as sole supplier in '07.

Maybe, just maybe... we might see tenders for single supplier status for '08 and beyond by other tyre companies other than Bridgestone.

Very little I suspect, I think they might be trying to gain an advantage for '07, next season is a transisitonal year for Williams with their temp move to Cosworth power, and Michelin have been making comments about not supplying Toyota full stop... meaning that Toyota might not have even had a choice in the matter.

Either way... I say bring back those big, fat, slick Goodyear Eagles. ;) :D