Toyota halts sales of vehicles due to safety defect

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DakotaGuy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Read the entire article at this link:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-01-26-toyota_N.htm

2. macrumors 68020

leomac08

My family owns 2 toyotas

a 2004 Toyota Highlander and a 2007 Toyota Matrix.....luckily they're not in the list of wanted cars FTW.:D

3. macrumors G5

yg17

It could take weeks? How hard is it to design a pedal that doesn't get caught in the floor mat? Can't they just use the pedal design from one of their unaffected cars? Sounds like a bunch of morons working in the Toyota engineering department to me, which explains why their cars are so boring and bland :D

4. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Does this mean it DOES have the same issue as the floor mat problem:

5. macrumors regular

edge540

This is seperate from the Floor Mat problem. This is an actual issue with the design of the gas pedal assembly. Im sure some engineers are working overtime trying to correct this issue.

From CNN:

6. macrumors G5

yg17

Ah, my bad, I assumed it was the floor mat issue (which may be the biggest fail in automotive engineering in the history of the automobile).

7. macrumors 6502

I'm amazed that this floor mat BS has actually been taken seriously. It was a cover up to buy them time to try and fix the real problem. There are testimonies of dealership employees pulling in brand new cars to prep for delivery and having the throttle stick wide open. In case you don't know, when a new car is delivered to a dealership the floor mats are wrapped in plastic IN THE TRUNK.

The real issue is that they're using drive-by-wire throttle, so some computer is glitching and locking the throttle open. Pumping the pedal will have zero effect. Toyota is not the first manufacturer whose cars with DBW have had problems like this, but they're the most widespread.

8. macrumors 68040

steve2112

9. macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

and that is why I don't buy Japanese cars. Better quality my @ss, hey everybody, lets all go buy cars that the throttle get stuck in WOT!

10. macrumors 603

quagmire

Most cars today are drive by wire.

What bothers me more about this is Toyota has been said to be trying to hide these defects which I believe they are/were being investigated for. It seems like Toyota has become the GM, Ford, and Chrysler of the 80's if these allegations are true.

11. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

12. macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, that opinion has been floating around for a few years. It seems in their quest to become the #1 automaker, Toyota has let their quality slip. They were willing to do anything to get there and stay there.

13. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Can I get some sources on this "many cars are DBW" today mentality?

Not that I dont believe it, I just never thought a company would make something more expensive when the cheaper option is not only easier, but safer.

14. macrumors regular

Well here's the wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_by_wire. Basically the advantages are that you can get newer technologies such as adaptive cruise control and electronic steering control. Also with Steering by wire you get systems like park assist, etc.

15. macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, so when the computer crashes, it REALLY crashes! :)

16. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

IOW...there is not proof DBW is at all the reason for this.

17. macrumors 6502

18. macrumors 68000

dXTC

I wonder how many schadenfreude-fueled celebrations are going on over at Honda, Nissan, and other competitors right now...

*schadenfreude: amusement/pleasure derived from others' misfortune. Figured I'd save some visits over to Wiktionary...

19. macrumors 68040

GM didn't waste any time:
    http://freep.com/article/20100127/B...GM-jump-starts-campaign-to-lure-Toyota-owners

20. macrumors 65816

wheezy

I didn't think GM had the money to do this. But here's the easy solution.

IF YOUR PEDAL STICKS, PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AND PULL OVER. If people don't know/weren't aware of what Neutral is, then the Drivers "Education" program in this country has taken a complete nose-dive.

There is honestly no excuse to die over this problem should it happen to you. I hear of people suddenly avoiding driving their cars. It's honestly more dangerous to get a tire blow at at 70MPH on the freeway than to have this happen to you. And it's probably more likely to have that blowout than your pedal stick.

Cars are machines like anything else - Prone to failure. If our education system didn't suck and taught people how things work along with how to work them, we wouldn't have nearly as many accidents in this country.

21. macrumors 603

quagmire

GM is sitting on ~$38 billion. So it has the money to do it. ;)

It isn't hard to shift into neutral. I guess panic hit these people and they didn't think? And if you hold the brake pedal it will stop the car even at WOT( IE: Hold the brake pedal down. Don't pump it. That will just wear out the pads without doing much in stopping you.....). C&D did a test on this. The brakes were able to bring a 550 HP Mustang to a stop at WOT.

And I agree with the education part...... Some idiot today in a 45 MPH going 50 MPH just randomly slowed down to 25 MPH when going through a green light.... I also love how people stop on the on ramp on a highway..... Yeah, going 40 MPH will make it easier for you to merge then going 0 MPH.......

22. macrumors G5

yg17

It's the decline of the manual transmission to blame IMO. If you drive an auto, you have to worry about park, reverse and drive. I'd say 98% of automatic drivers have no reason to ever put their car in neutral save for the occasional drive through a car wash. They may teach you what to do in drivers ed, but in a panic situation like that, is someone going to remember what they learned possibly decades ago when they were 15?

I drive a manual, if I need to stop, putting the clutch in and shifting to neutral is just a given. And I doubt you will ever see a fatality as a result of an accident involving a manual transmission car with it's throttle stuck at WOT.

23. macrumors 68040

http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota-to-cut-parts-spending-by-30-percent.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-01-25-toyotalong_st_N.htm

24. macrumors G3

dmr727

This is a pretty good lesson on how a good reputation can be destroyed in short order. I can't tell whether this is plain misfortune, or the result of cost cutting, but holy crap this couldn't be much worse for Toyota. :(

25. macrumors 603

quagmire

While this is the first catastrophic recall in my memory that has hit Toyota that is rivaling Ford's cruise control switch dilemma, this isn't the first time Toyota's have been plagued with problems recently. You got the 3.0 V6 engine sludge problems, the 2005 Avalon problems( can't remember specifically what it was), 2007 Camry 6 speed auto problems( refused to shift into 2nd and 6th gear), 2007 Tundra camshaft problems, transmission issues, horrible bed flex( weak C-Pillar frame design in the rear which allows this flex), tailgate bending, and just recently heard about is frame rusting issues on older Tacoma's. Toyota's quality has slipped.