Toys R Them

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 14, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know how these two idiots got away with this for so long. Even a lot of cheap toys come in boxes with cellophane windows. It's not like it's easy to pull a switcheroo and not have it noticed.

These two aren't getting anything from Santa this year. :p

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I worked retail many years ago. Security was always more worried about employees than they were of customers stealing.

3. macrumors 68020

question fear

Bingo. And chances are the most "loss prevention" education anyone got was a 5 minute lecture during a sales meeting once every two months.

When I worked for Best Buy in college, the whole store got chewed out because someone walked into the store, disconnected a small flat screen tv, shoved it IN HIS PANTS, zipped his coat over it and walked out.

What really made the managers steamed is that not only did the sales staff and loss prevention miss someone walking around with a tv in his pants, they also didn't find it remotely odd that it was July and he was wearing a heavy coat all zipped up...

4. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You gotta love the fact that they made it easy for the store and the police to trace them by using a rewards card. :p

6. macrumors Core

MacNut

Ain't that the truth. When I worked at Sears all the security cameras were pointing at the registers. Not the blind spots where thieves could stash merchandise.

7. macrumors 65816

senseless

I worked at a Dept store when I was a kid. The female employees had to have clear plastic purses and were watched like hawks. The security team had a mugshot book of known "pros" and would follow them around when they entered the store. It was a constant battle.

8. macrumors G3

rhett7660

At least he was able to meet the goal he set for himself! However getting caught was probably not one of them. :)

9. macrumors 65816

Mousse

I'd be glad ONLY IF the Judge passes an order that prevents them from selling their story for millions. Stealing from all 50 states. That's a story *I* be interest in reading about. I'd bet a lot of other people would pay good money such a read.

10. macrumors 603

thekev

That is extremely funny.

11. macrumors 603

Carlanga

A big toy store w/ big shelves and lots of them w/ prob one security camera person. Seems like an easy place to hide the toys inside the bigger box while looking like you are just grabbing stuff from the shelfs. I do believe they followed them for a while before actually arresting them. My guess is they knew very well how to hide from TRU cameras and where they had blind spots.

Almost their million dollars seems to have been used for traveling? 'sure'; my guess is most of the money is offshore, they will get out of jail in less than 10yrs and will have their million bucks plus interest. Just rest in jail and workout, eat free food. Better than working 30yrs and getting a crappy retirement.

12. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

AND he used the Loyalty Card? Dayam, this guy has balls....