Track ball, bluetooth????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zagato27, Oct 9, 2003.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just got my G5 and got it up and running. I'm a switcher, so I'm trying to get the hang of OS-X (sending in for the upgrade for Panther today). So far everything is really neat. Love the look and feel of OS-X. Can't believe it but I like the look of IE better than Safari. Also Entourage seems much nicer than Apple Mail. Hmmm maybe that's because I can't get "Mail" to get into my ATT account. I'll have to keep working on that one. The one thing I don't like is Apple's sorry excuse for a mouse. This thing is absolutely terrible. I was looking for a bluetooth mouse and see that Logitech has a MX 900 that is coming, MS has it's bluetooth mouse but it doesn't specifically say that it is Mac compatible. After using the Apple "hockey puck" I remember why I went from a mouse to a track ball. You just have to move too much to get where you want! With my PC I use a Logitech TrackMan Marble FX that I really like. The family didn't exactly take to it initially but I just asked my wife what she would prefer (mouse or track) and she surprised me by saying track ball. I've seen some Logitech track balls that are cordless but none that are bluetooth. Anyone know of a track ball that is bluetooth? Anyone have any recommendations on a good track ball??? Thks

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i actually just bought a new mouse for my powerbook ... a trackball. Heres the thing I considered tho, trackballs have very little need to be wireless in my experiences.. they sit in one spot and the cords rarely move... like a keyboard so in the end i paid 2 bucks for a logitech with wires ....

3. anidel macrumors member

I always used a mouse (no more no less than three buttons).
    A month ago I tried my first track ball, after only 5 mins I forgot I was using a track ball and not a mouse! It was so natural! I kept using it.
    I'm a Bluetooth supporter and I would LOVE to see a bluetooth track ball!
    Right now I've a bluetooth apple mouse...it's cute, but has one button, but I don't feel constrained in any thing.
    Sure it would be nicer a two or three buttons one...

But a BT track ball would be a dream...

Anidel

4. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

That's funny, I feel exactly the opposite. :D

I think wireless mouses are useless, because you still have to have them on a flat surface. What are the advantages? No cord...well yeah if it's THAT big a deal.

However if I had a wireless trackball (which I've convinced myself I must have), then I can put the trackball on my leg, armrest, hand it to a friend, whatever. The trackball doesn't have to be on a surface at all.

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

A Bluetooth trackball would be very handy for people giving presentations on the computer or performing computer demonstrations.

6. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

You know, you are absolutely right! What was I thinking???? Now just have to find the right trackball. BTW, G5 is up and running with my Dell 1901FP and it is awesome. Especially since I've been able to play with the resolution. "The Missing Manual...the book that should have been in the box" has been an absolute lifesaver to this OS X newbie.:D

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

there are better things to spend your cash on too... good luck with the search