Trackball...Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zagato27, Oct 18, 2003.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Been doing a bit of researching and soul searching on the purchase of a mouse or trackball. Got my G5 and it came with the "hockey puck" that Apple calls a mouse. What a waste of plastic. Anyway, since my G5 came with bluetooth I was initially interested in getting a bluetooth mouse BUT after using the hockey puck I'd really like a track ball. I've been using a Logitech trackball that I really like but it is not cordless nor is it USB. Course both Logitech and Kensington have USB trackballs and since the trackball won't be moving I can live with the cord (though I'd really like to work my bluetooth). Anyway, I've seen the Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball and it looks interesting. MacAddict has given it a "3" rating. Anyone have it? What are your impressions? Soonest pls, got to get rid of the puck.

2. Iron Rogue macrumors newbie

I ordered it in May from kensington's web page and got a reply that it would ship in 3 to 4 weeks. It eventually took 8 weeks to arrive after several e-mails inquiring about it. Kensington did refund half the price...so I got it for 50 bucks.
    I love this trackball and its bigger than it looks in the pictures. All four buttons are programmable and the scroll ring is something you'll find you won't want to be without. I think you can assign the opening of applications to buttons too. It ships with driver software on cd-rom but when you register online you can download the latest version. It came with a wrist rest pad that attaches to it, but I felt it was ugly and too low so I chucked it. I bought one of those cheap soft rubber oval wrist rest which is much more comfortable. The ball is not captive. You can turn the thing upside down to remove the ball and clean it and use canned air to blow dust off the bearings in the base ( I have kids, so I have to do this every couple of weeks.) I highly recommend this product to anyone who prefers trackballs over mice or has limited desk space.

3. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Thanks for the input. I went to Kensington site and see where MacAddict did a review this month. I'll have to snag a copy and see what they say. Are the buttons easy to use? The wrist pad is ugly and cheap eh? Oh well, easily replaceable as you say.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

Is there a pic somewhere? They were talking about this at MWNY and it sounded great (optical) but they didn't have any there.

I use a Logitech Marble Mouse trackball and am very happy with it, but I need another one for another computer, and it seems they don't make them anymore. BTW I have to have a symmetrical model, as I am left-handed.

5. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

I've got a Logitech TrackMan Marble FX that I love but it isn't USB. So I'm thinking of the Kensington. I've got bluetooth and would love to utilize it but being a track ball it won't be moving so I guess I can live with the cord. BUT got to have a trackball. Mice are for the birds. Here's the link:

http://kensington.com/html/2200.html

6. Iron Rogue macrumors newbie

The kensington expert mouse optical trackball earned a "great" rating in the October issue of Macaddict (pg 60). It is symetrical and can be used by normal right-handed people or mutant lefties alike.