Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ou_phidelt, Mar 3, 2004.

1. ou_phidelt macrumors newbie

Feb 19, 2004
    Athens, Ohio
    I am thinking of piscking up a trackball. I am trying to get some opinions of why or why dont you prefer them.
  2. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Feb 25, 2004
    Irvine, CA
    It's totally a personal-preference thing. You just have to try it out and see if you like it better. I personally prefer the mouse, despite years of using a Kensington Turboball as a kid. But, again, there are strong arguments for both types - it's just a preference, like "jazz, or latin"?

EDIT: in terms of other practicalities, a trackball probably requires more cleaning since it has an external moving ball, and optical mice (especially Apple Pro) are pretty solid from a maintenance p.o.v.
  3. loubapache macrumors member

Feb 12, 2004
    I love the trackball. Right now I have the Logitech wireless trackball. Two buttons, a wheel, and a trackball.

The main reason I like it is because I do not have to move the mouse (I just move the trackball). So I can hold it in any way I want.

The wireless trackball adds another dimension to web browsing. I can hold the mouse on my lap and browse.
  4. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    What wireless standard does it use, I really wish logitech made a bluetooth trackball.
  5. lind0834 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2003

I love track balls because you can have your whole desk be a mess around them, and track balls don't care. With a mouse, you have to have a small spot clean. That's no fun.
  6. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I would never use a mouse again if I had the choice. trackballs are so much better than me. I find them to be more precise because you have finger tip control, I love that I don't have to use as much deskspace since they don't have to move once you have them where you want them (a really big thing when you have it on a keyboard tray), I love that I don't have to pick the thing up because I got to the end of the mouse pad, i love that a good one can keep your hand in a good, ergonomic position that doesn't require you to move it in weird ways to use it. And I think that a trackball allows for some interesting button arrangements that you may find better. Basically, I think trackballs are just more ergonomic, more precise and easier to use.

Down sides is that because your fingers are touching the ball, they get gunked up pretty quickly. Even my optical trackball gets gunk on the ball bearings that help it slide, which isn't a big deal, but its mildly annoying at time. You wouldn't get the same roblem as much with an optical or even traditional mouse.

Also, I prefer my one at home (A microsoft made one) which has the ball controlled by my fingers, whereas my one at work is a thumb ball. I find the thumb ball one makes me stretch my fourth and pinky finger too much to hit the buttons on that side of the device. The microsoft one I have has the two main buttons right there for my thumb with a scrool wheel. its really natural, and the other two buttons for forward and back in the browser are very naturally placed. So while I prefer trackballs, some are better than others and its worth checking out a number of arrangements to see what fits your hand best.
  7. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
    I use a Kensington 4 button TurboMouse on an old PM 8500, and it's very nice. It just fits in with the keyboard in the computer stand it's in. If I used a mouse, there would simply be no room to move it.
  8. loubapache macrumors member

Feb 12, 2004
    It is the short-ranged RF (radio frequency). Ya, I wish a bluetooth as well.
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I have two Logitech Trackman Marble trackballs and they're great. Whether I'm doing web browsing or playing games, they move accurately and feel comfortable. They're even acceptable for drawing as I never run out of space.
  10. crazytom macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    I have the Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro. I absolutely love it. I was developing some good carpal tunnel with a regular mouse, and since I started using the trackball, I haven't felt any pain.

Though, if I were to get a new one, I'd forgo the direct launch buttons (I never use makes me move my hand too far) and I'd go for the optical trackball. I have to clean the cat hair and lint out of the rollers every 2 months or so. The Kensington mouse driver is really good and lets you customize everything. I really like the button 'chording'---I've got two set to quit programs and the other two to close windows.
  11. crackpip macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    I love trackballs for all the same reasons that have been posted already. I've had 4 over the last 4 years. IMO, I don't think it gets any better than a turbomouse (although I just saw the new Expert mouse and it looks really, really nice). The large ball, the smooth motion, the 4 buttons, etc. all make for a great experience and the kensington software is nice. I've got one of the Orbit Optical, and I have to say I prefer the turbomouse; the action seems smoother with the larger ball and there are more buttons.

I'd stay away from the turboball, the orbit models, and the turbo ring. They use a ball supported by rubber wheels. The wheels really hold dirt make the trackball have to be cleaned often.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002