Tracking airport users?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anim8or, Feb 24, 2007.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Hello all...

Is there anyway one can see or track exactly how many people are present on an airport network.

My friend has a sneaking suspicion that more than just him are on his wireless network.

He has noticed another wireless network present near his home that only comes on when he isnt using his, and his network speeds/internet speeds dropp when this one is not present. He lives in an area of the city where honesty is not really at the top of peoples lists and is convinced someone is stealing his connection for faster speeds.

I have urged him to put a password on his network and access control, yet he refuses because his Sony PSP and his Nintendo Wii have trouble connecting when such passwords or secuiry is present on the network.... he seems to value his gaming access more than download/upload speeds.

Any help would be great as i would like to know if this is possible for interest sake.

Thanks in advance.

2. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I never used an Apple Airport base station. But other wireless routers usually had a page in the administrative interface, which showed the IP addressed assigned to the different machines on the network. I guess an Airport base station has something like that.

Besides that, if he doesn't want other to use his wireless network, he should encrypt it.