Tracking chip in new 20s explodes when microwaved!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by evolu, Mar 2, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

2. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

So, is this a real website, or is it a spoof?

3. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Gee, wish I had money to 'burn' like that! :eek:

And I hope these guys get in trouble for destroying U.S. currency... :p

4. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

anyone try it yet? ;) i sure don't even have 20 bucks to spare. i dunno. seems fishy because i haven't heard of any other cases where something has gone off like this.

5. macrumors 65816

Dippo

I tried it, but nothing happened.

The new $20 just sat there in the microwave be zapped by the microwaves.

6. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm really thinking that this is just some joke... RFID tags in twenty dollar bills? Maybe someday, but I really don't think that's a current feature of our currency...

7. macrumors 68000

agreenster

Paranoid dillusional freaks.

Besides, even if it were true, who gives a thuck? So the US Government is tracking where its money is going. Big freakin whoop!

:confused:

8. macrumors G3

Counterfit

HAHA!! Funny stuff. Of course, I won't test it myself, just in case ;)

Also, they could be charged with a crime (I forget what it's called though :rolleyes: ) for destroying money like that. Many people don't know, but the actual coins and bills are property of the Federal Government, they just let everyone use it with the guarantee that it will be accepted anywhere in the country in exchange for goods or services (or "just because").

9. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think somebody is trying to yank my monkey. [​IMG]

10. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I hope they are joking and not paranoid and delusional. I doubt it is true. Who goes walking around with $1000 cash?

11. macrumors 6502

Funny how his NEW twentys are a mix of the Newest (sans oval frame) twenty's and the older ones with Jacksons frame Offset

12. macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

so they are all in his wallet, right? in a stack, but yet none of the 20's shown are really bent, in fact, all though they are a mixture of older and newer 20's they all appear crisp. I highly doubt this is real.

13. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha - conspiracy theorist are going to love this one :D

So who cares if they can track you, you still have to be in range of the money - these would have to be passive tags - ones that require you to scan them at short range to get the response. Sort of like the automatic tolls....the gov't won't be tracking you wallet from orbit :D

D

14. macrumors regular

Just to be precise, I'm pretty sure dollars are promisory notes from the government that they can be redeemed for the given amount in gold, hence currency is backed by the Federal Reserve and the country's stockpiles of gold. Since dollars REPRESENT government gold, they can be exchanged for goods and services when both parties agree to a price. Ergo, "medium of exchange". This is why people buy gold (i.e "redeem their dollars") when they fear the economy is going to tank and dollars won't be worth as much in the future.

As for a related topic: does anyone know if postage stamps count as legal tender, since they can be traded with the government for money?

Regarding burning the bills:
    "Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

"Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their mailing address is:

United States Secret Service
    950 H Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20223."

15. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Nope, not any more. Dollars are based on, well, nothing.

16. macrumors G3

Counterfit

They're based on the collective belief that they have a value. No correlation to gold whatsoever. I don't know whether that's good or not, but that's the way it is.

17. thread starter macrumors regular

Right - I think Nixon took us off the gold standard. then we went to the silver standard and are off that now (can't remember who took us off that).

I have a silver reserve note somewhere - it says that it is redeemable for it's value in silver somewhere.

Also, there have been magnetic strips in money for awhile, in the previous 2 generations of our money. They work to identify STACKS of money. I think they are tracked at airports for custom's purposes.

Drug dealers, etc. tend to have large amounts of cash - that was the main logic behind it all.

I have no doubts this is real. But who knows how TRACKABLE these bills are?

18. macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I actually just looked at that website last night. I was telling a coworker, Bobby, about it. I expected him to laugh at me. A little background on Bobby: Bobby was raised in church and considers himself a Christian. Bobby voted for Bush and defends nearly everything Bush says or does, and plans to vote for Bush again. Bobby doesn't beleive in the conspiracy theories, and any Big Brother fear is only when Democrats hold the power. And, Bobby is definately not considered a liar by anyone who knows him. Now, when I told Bobby about the "tracking devices" in the twenties, he said "Yep, My grandfather was driving a big sack of money up the interstate..." somewhere, I can't remember where he said "for his company. He said all of a sudden he had a helicopter hovering over him and cops surrounding him. The ran his license number, searched his vehicle, and explained that they had to make sure he wasn't a terrorist. Anybody carrying that much cash on the interstate in the middle of the night is suspect." Bobby said that his grandfather asked how they knew he had all the money in the first place, and the police explained that the helicopter just happened to be scanning the area. They said it was all kind of hit or miss until they get sensors installed on overpasses and more new bills in circulation, then everyone carrying a lot of cash will trigger an alarm. They then said "Sorry for the delay. Be careful." I normally wouldn't believe a word of this, but coming from Bobby, I had to consider it. I guess you have to know Bobby. ;)

edit: Oh yea, and Bobby credited it to "that damned homeland security act"

19. macrumors 65816

kettle

What happens...

..if you only microwave a stack of cash a little bit?
    Is there a way of scanning to see if the transponder wiggets are still working, even if they don't get hot enough to explode?

Would lead stop scanning?

How do I do the science on this dodgy piece of journalism?

20. macrumors 6502a

crenz

I doubt it. I have yet to see tracking chips that can be scanned from a helicopter. That doesn't mean I'm not against the widespread use of RFID chips, though.

21. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Tell your friend bobby not to goto Vegas and accept drinks from women, he might end up in a bathtub full of ice and missing a kidney. ;)

22. macrumors 68000

neut

actually it's now based on debt. we have no money and by accepting american money you are also accepting this debt.

would promissory notes also work in reverse? at the fall of american gov... if you are caught with cash will you have to produce enough goods to cover your part of the debt (equal to the amount of representative money you have)?

i really hate money.

peace.

23. macrumors 6502a

Vector

Our currency is only based on the fact that the government says its valuable. After we went off the gold standard, we changed to what is called fiat currency. Fiat currency is valuable simply because it is deemed valuable by the Fed.

While defacement or mutilation of currency is technically illegal, its not something that the secret service has the time or concern to pursue. They will even give you new money if you send them mutilated cash as long as 51% of the bill is is sent in.

24. macrumors newbie

gimme a break

Who would ever believe that there is a "tracking chip" inside a 20$ bill??? That pic is so low res those bills are prolly just photocopies. Who in their right mind would burn hundreds of dollars like that? Hold one up to the light, and look through it. I don't think even Apple could make a chip so small you can't see it ;)

And why would the gov want to put tracking chips in them anyway!?

cepheid

25. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

If anyone is that worried about it, just cut out AJ's right eye. ;)