Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi all. my powerbook is having a problem with its trackpad button. Sometimes it just does not work. I will be over a link, an icon, a close window button, whatever, and when I click, nothing will happen. If I move the cursor off of it and to another link, and then go back, it will work. I don't think it's a hardware issue as simply moving to a different button to click fixes it every time, but any ideas as to why this is happening, or how to fix it?
Thanks

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
there may be windows popping up that you are unaware of, and the screen you are trying to click is moved to the background, but still visible. then- the first time you click, you are just bringing that screen back up to the front, and the second time, actually clicking on the link. does it happen when you are visiting sites with pop-ups or frames? does it happend in specific programs, or is it a system wide thing?

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
It is system wide. I can also click as many times as I want, and nothing happens. Only when I click somewhere else will the problem go away

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Like you said it's not likely to be a hardware problem, it is most probably a software conflict of some sort. Have you downloaded any software/freeware/shareware recently?

Do you have ONYX installed on your computer? Just that it gave me problems where a small area of my screen would occasionally just become inactive.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
I do have ONYX, though I haven't used it for awhile. I haven't installed any new software for awhile, though I very recently started using Microsoft Powerpoint, which I had on the com for awhile, but didn't use until recently

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Ja Di ksw said:
I do have ONYX, though I haven't used it for awhile. I haven't installed any new software for awhile, though I very recently started using Microsoft Powerpoint, which I had on the com for awhile, but didn't use until recently

ONYX might be causing the problems, I know it did for me. You don't necessarily have to be using it for it to be causing problems, having it on your computer will be enough. Try deleting ONYX (using Find to make sure you get all the associated files), repairing permissions and restarting. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
ONYX and everything associated with it have been deleted, repaired permissions, and it's still happening :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.