Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
I think my MacBook might have a software bug with the trackpad - occasionally, but not always, when scrolling or just moving the cursor around I'll hear a slight clicking noise. It's a higher pitched sound than the regular press/force press feedback. I haven't been able to work out any pattern in what causes it, seeing as it only happens sporadically. Super annoying.

I think I read that El Capitan will have an option to turn off all trackpad noises, so that might fix it, but I'd rather have the option to still have the normal clicking noises (if this indeed is a bug).

Anyone else have a similar experience?

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
Sure it's not just the bottom plate settling as the Mac warms and warps?

Common on all MBPs since, well, 2008. Tends to happen more on newer machines.

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Sure it's not just the bottom plate settling as the Mac warms and warps?

Common on all MBPs since, well, 2008. Tends to happen more on newer machines.

Possibly - I don't know anything about that phenomenon so it's hard to say.
I did notice that sometimes when I hear it and pick up the MacBook the clicking seems to stop.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
It might be wise to check and make sure that your battery has not begun to swell up. A swollen battery can push up against the trackpad and cause erratic behavior. The easiest way to do this would be to pull out the battery and place it on a flat surface to see if it wobbles.

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
It might be wise to check and make sure that your battery has not begun to swell up. A swollen battery can push up against the trackpad and cause erratic behavior. The easiest way to do this would be to pull out the battery and place it on a flat surface to see if it wobbles.

I have the 12" MacBook - taking the battery out is not possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.