TrackPad or MagicMouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zav, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Zav
    macrumors member

Absolute no brainer. Having purchased the MagicMouse with my 2011 iMac I was happy using it until now. My girlfriend recently bought me the TrackPad and its far, far superior. It adds a whole new dimension to OSX, especially to Mountain Lion.

Multi-Touch gesters (once you've learned them all) make navigating around the OS a dream! You really feel like your getting things done in a productive way.

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you like the trackpad then go for it. I myself prefer the MagicMouse over the trackpad to the point when I travel with my MBP, I include the mouse as I do not like the track pad

3. macrumors 65816

My advice is that, if you're buying a nice new iMac and have the choice of either the (horrible*) Magic Mouse or the (interesting) Magic Trackpad thrown in then, yes, its a no-brainer to get the trackpad, if only to try - and if you don't get on with it, go to your friendly local computer store, choose a nice mouse of a size and weight that fits your hand for a fraction of the cost of the MM.

I really like the Magic Trackpad for general use - especially if you enable the three-fingers-to-drag option.

However, I still prefer a mouse for gaming and precise graphics work, so I have both on the desk.

(* OK, some people actually like the Magic Mouse. Then again, I know someone who liked the iMac Hockey Puck abomination and even one strange person who liked Windows Vista...)

4. macrumors member

Anything but Windows Vista! One look at that abomination of an OS and I went out and bought my first iMac. Haven't looked back since.

I agree that the trackpad works best for general navigation and is particularly nice if you move back and forth from an Air, as I do. The gestures on the Magic Mouse just don't cut it. But for detailed photo editing - using a brush to correct a small area for example - a mouse beats a trackpad hands down.

5. macrumors regular

glutenenvy

6. macrumors 6502

I love the trackpad.

However I would just get a standard bluetooth mouse over a magic mouse if that's what you're looking for.

7. macrumors newbie

I am fine with the trackpad as i do not have to carry an additional item with me for traveling.

8. macrumors 68000

phrehdd

I guess I am the odd man out - I have used for years the larger trackballs (Kensington). However, I was never a fan of the Magic Mouse as it was not comfortable in my hands and didn't quite feel at ease with a track pad. I have used both when there was no choice but again, at home - prefer the trackball as it is easy to use, and the only drawback is if you need to be very accurate in movement such as Photoshop. (Then again, a stylus is the best for that kind of work.)

For those of you who learned all the hand gestures, I am sure you are getting great utility out of the trackpad.

9. macrumors demi-god

glenthompson

Personal preference. After dealing with lousy pc trackpads for years, I've never liked them. The pad on my MBP is the first one I don't mind using. Most of the time I use the magic mouse because I prefer a mouse. I also run with the case closed with an external monitor at home.