Trackpads on desktops?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by icetraxxg5, Mar 8, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

I have an iBook right now and I really like to use the trackpad, I can use it more efficiently then a mouse. Is there a trackpad that is USB that can plug into a desktop on a Mac? I am going out to get the new 17' iMac later today and I really don't want to use a mouse, especially a one button mouse (I don't want to buy a 2 or 3 button mouse right now).

2. macrumors 6502

nope can't say that I do

3. macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

trackpad

Yes there is. I'm sorry but I don't know the name of it, but CompUSA definitely sells some sort of usb track pad that has two buttons on it.

I can't see why on earth you'd be better at using that than a mouse, but to each his own.

-Pete

4. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hey, glad to see another trackpad person... i know they used to make ADB trackpads, and i suppose you could get a USB -> ADB adaptor, but i don't know about drivers in X... if you can find the USB trackpad go for it...

personally i'm dying for a wireless trackpad, but i doubt they'll ever make one for me... *sigh*

pnw

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be perfect! A wireless trackpad would be so much more useful then a wireless mouse since you could hold it and wont have to use it at a desk or surface; I wish something like this existed...

6. macrumors regular

I can see where you are comming from liking track-pads, but I must say, for any gaming and such, I don't think you can beat a mouse. The precision is better with it and you just get better motion with it. That is just my feeling on the subject. Of course, with a mouse, you have to have some sort of flattish area (although with optical mice, which I think are heaven, you are able to work on a lot more surfaces).

7. macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

I havent ever seen a "new" desktop trackpad for sale, oh well.

Ah those were the days..

My 20th Anniversary has trackpad that can sit into the keyboard or be used seperately. I hate it. Nice computer though.

8. macrumors member

Re: Trackpads on desktops?

Yes, I know of one. I'd use it too, I think having it in my lap would be more ergonomic than using a mouse.

FingerWorks iGesture

A complaint I've heard is that it is really expensive for what it is. I wish this mini-tablet coming from MacAlly were a trackpad instead:

MacAlly iceCAD