Trade Advice? MBA13(2012) for MBP(2011)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maatae, Feb 5, 2013.

1. maatae, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2012

So I got an offer to trade my 2012 base mba 13 for a 15in 2011 mbp with the following specs:
    -8gb ram
    -120gb ssd /500gb hdd

is the trade worth it? what kind of performance gains will I see? In general I use the machine for browsing, but I do some light gaming on my mba right now (l4d2, etc.) but would love it if my gaming selection grew. what do you guys think?

2. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2009
    Why do you want the pro? Is this a 15" Pro? If it isn't, your game performance will be worse.

In terms of general use, the '11 pro shouldn't be faster than your current Air. Unless you want those i/o ports, additional ram (if you don't already have 8 GBs) and internal expandability, I don't really see the reason for this trade...
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2012
    sorry I completely forgot to mention that it is the 15in. So I wont see any noticeable graphics improvements at all?

and i have the base 13 in so thats 4gb ram
  4. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2009
    If it's a 15" pro, you will receive noticeable improvement.

If you don't care about portability, and the machine is in good condition (hopefully it's covered under apple care too), then it's a great trade if you game.

If you're only doing "light" gaming, and you're not using applications that use the quad-cores in the 15", then you're not really gaining anything. This assumes that the other benefits of the cMBPs are irrelevant to you.

It's a simple matter of what you value in a laptop.