Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j26

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I was talking to my brother in law yesterday. My niece is in college and hacking away at some old POS laptop which isn't doing the business for her, and my brother in law said he was thinking of getting her a new one. I suggested Apple (of course).
But later I got thinking. Would the MacBook (at expected specs - similar to a Mac Mini) be better than my trusty PB? If it would be, then I might consider selling my PB to her (at a good price) and using that towards a MacBook.

Wotcha think? In effect I think I'm asking which is the better processor, the current Mac Minis (Solo or Duo), or a 12" PB 1.33.

I think she'd be getting a good deal, but would I?
There are other features I'd like on the MacBook, such as the iSight, and I might even stick a Linux distro on it (no windows though)

Any advice cheerily taken.

Thanks

Edit: As a side issue what's my pb (see below) worth? One or two scratches, but otherwise very good condition.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
j26,

I have the 12-inch Powerbook that came after yours, so just slightly better specs.

I also have a Core Duo iMac. I can assure you that a Core Duo Mac Book will blow away your Powerbook. Don't get me wrong, I love my Powerbook tremendously, but the processors just weren't up to the game in them.

My iMac continues to impress me daily. I would love to have a Core Duo in a notebook, but I hate to lose the beautiful aluminium enclosure of the Powerbook. I might try to get by with my Core Duo desktop combined with the G4 Powerbook, for a while. Not a bad solution for me.

For you, if speed is important, then yes, the MacBook would be a big step forward. Even web browsing is a lot faster. I just also find it a shame we have to lose the aluminium, in order to get a smaller than 15-inch form factor.

j26

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Cheers for that.

Did you get the 17" or the 20"?

Edit: Duh!!! Should read sigs!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.