Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alanjade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Hi, I tried searching the forums for any information on this but I couldn't find much, so I apologize if this is a repeated question.
I heard a rumor that some Apple Retail Stores allow you to "trade-in" your broken iPod for a new one for a small fee of $30. Is this rumor true?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Well, if it is a rumour, we can't say whether it's true or not. If it isn't supposed to be a rumour, (just something you are unsure of), I doubt it strongly. It would cost them more than $30 to refurb it and sell it. In fact with certain models, it would cost more than $30 as a restocking fee.

Right, just checked that link and now I see what that is then. You get about $30 off a new iPod when you trade in your old one, not new for old plus $30.

Alanjade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Oh, You're most likely correct. Thanks a lot for your help.
Is there anyway to have apple repair my iPod?
I sent it in while it was still partially under warranty (I had to pay for shipping and handling.) And they claimed they fixed it, but as soon as I took it out I had the exact same problem. :mad:

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Alanjade said:
I sent it in while it was still partially under warranty (I had to pay for shipping and handling.) And they claimed they fixed it, but as soon as I took it out I had the exact same problem. :mad:
I think that there's a 90 day warranty on repairs in this situation (unless your original 1 yr warranty is longer of course).

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Usually this is the case on repairs. As long as the fault has been reported within the warranty period, it is repairable. If it is repaired and sent back and the problem persists, you should find they are obliged to still fix it. After all, it wasn't fixed for the fault first time and this was reported under warranty.

Just some information for you guys though, if you send a faulty iPod to apple under warranty, they rarely, (if at all), repair the item. This would be timely and costly. I deal with these every day and if it is a hardware issue, (e.g battery not holding charge, hard drive failure), they often don't even look at the item and switch them straight over. If you report something that could be something else, (say iPod not mounting on computer, which they could determine as software), they look over it and if they can't find a fault with it, they send it straight back as no fault found. To be fair, it doesn't always happen like this when you deal with Apple, but we deal with a company called CRC, which deals with all of Apple's UK iPod repairs. That's why we often get special treatment, (they know we have had a good look over it and so trust our diagnosis).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.