trade ipod at the apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GCY, Sep 20, 2006.

1. GCY macrumors regular

I have a brand new 30GB ipod video(old verison). Will apple store accept a trade for the newer verison or the 8GB nano? I heard they could give store credit if u return without a recepit but I also heard some stores won't do that at all. any truth to that? I'm looking to bring it to the apple store on 5th AVE. in NYC.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Is it unopened? I really can't imagine Apple would accept it without a receipt.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

If it's unopened and sealed, then yeah, they probably would let you do that. They'd just run the serial to find out it's not stolen, obviously.

I know I once received an iPod mini as a gift, no receipt, and I called my local store and asked if I could bring it in and upgrade to a full size iPod by paying the difference. Since they have all the info (how much the person had paid for it, any discounts they received, when it was bought, etc) all from the serial, they had no problem with it at all.

Try calling your local store and find out first hand, but I imagine you just may be in luck!

4. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

i didnt know you could do that! how much trade in value do you think i could get for a black 2GB nano (decent condition since it's been in a case)?

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You can't just trade in an iPod. This thread refers to trading a RECENTLY (read: last 14 days) purchased iPod still sealed in box. :rolleyes:

6. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

oh lol. thanks for clearing that up....so depressing :(

7. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

yea its brand new sealed. I received it as a gift a few days b4 the newer verison released. Since I already have an ipod video, I'll be selling it on ebay but obviously the newer model would get more vaule.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

You're right - they'll only accept unopened, still sealed iPods. BUT mine was out of the 14 days, and they still let me trade up. Now, granted, I was paying them more rather than downgrading or even just swapping, so that may have helped.

Yours may have a snag, though. Because they can't just take your old nano and sell it as new alongside the others, they may not let you trade without a receipt (obviously, with a receipt they have no choice if it's within the 14 days and sealed). If you were trying to upgrade, then perhaps they might make an exception. At any rate, I stick to my original advice: call the store directly and ask. No matter what we think or say, it's going to be their call, so you might as well go straight to the source.

9. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

well, I'm planning on bringing the ipod to the apple store tomm. Just check the serial # online and it says the est. date of purchase is oct. 8????