trade PS3 for Xbox 360 will PS3 be ok?

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim2006, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

just got a PS3 60 gig and am thinking of trading it in for the 360.

2. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

3. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

I say go for it, you want to play 360 games and you have a PS3 you'd most likely get enough from the sale/trade of it to buy a 360 and a few games.

4. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

You *might* be hard pressed to find a taker at this point. Can you return it still? Take the cash and buy a premium box and a game!

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Depends. If it's possible keep the PS3 and pick up a 360 when you have the cash – I did that, only in reverse (had a 360 for over a year, now I have a PS3 as well). Then you'd get to play great games on both platforms.

6. mim macrumors 6502

I want to trade my Xbox 360 for a Wii. Maybe you could just go straight from PS3 -> Wii.

(ps. Anyone in Melbourne/Australia want to buy/trade a 360?)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

sounds like you just have a bit of buyers remorse at the moment. what happens if another game comes out on the PS3 after you've traded it for a 360?

buying a machine for 1 game is a dodgy move regardless of what machine it is.

wait and see if there are more 360 games you want, and make sure there are no ps3 exclusives (i know they are deminishing) only games that you might want.

If 360 outweighs the PS3 for the foreseeable, than go ahead and get it. If the situation reverses you will have been wiser not to flit between the two

8. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

With Heavenly Sword, Lair, and Motorstorm all coming out around March, I would be hard pressed to get rid of mine.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

XBox 360 Version 2.0

Take it back. XBox 360 Ver. 2.0 is coming out so you can get the regular XBox 360 maybe for cheaper or the newer XBox and have the HD and games!

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Theres no point in owning a PS3 at this moment in time. The 360 has what you buy consoles for - games. And lots of them.

I might say different in a few years if the future PS3 games somehow capture the charm and creativity of PS1 games. Who knows. Though now the better choice is a 360.

11. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Like I said....opinions vary.

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That's a rumor, not fact. :p

13. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

another thing I noticed scanning this fourm is xbox 360 seems preferred over PS3 I don't think that was the case with ps2 and xbox

14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Sony is on top of the industry....they will obviously be more hated than the rest.
    That does NOT, however, reflect product quality or demand.

All I keep hering about is 360's bricking, I know at least half a dozen people whose 360 has crashed in the last month.
    (most were launch consoles)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No. Not even opinion - fact.
    Whichnext gen system has more games; the Xbox 360.
    Which next gen system costs less for somebody who doesn't want a next gen video medium?
    Which next gen system costs less for somebody who doesn't have a HDTV (HDTV users being a minority of the market, btw)?
    Which next gen system has the best console online service going?

Consoles are just the middleman to the user and games. It's the games people buy these machines for. There will be an extreme minority who intend to buy a 360 just for video chat, or the Wii for the photo channel or to check weather. What games has the PS3 got right now? None. Speak of potential all you want, if you're not happy with something that has nothing then go out and buy something that has.

Sony is on top of the industry? Riiiight. So what system currently owns the top spot in terms of sales? OH! The DS! People think Sony are on top of the market because they had huge success with their last 2 systems. That's all well and good, but a huge error.

Nintendo sold just as many GBA's as PS2's. Top, add in the Gamecube and DS ontop of that, oh and add in PSP for Sony.

Alright. Lets forget last gen. What about next gen? Wii+DS Lite, Xbox 360, PS3+PSP.
    You can do the numbers if you want :cool:
    There is an illusion Sony is top of the market. But there are more Nintendo machines per gen in homes thanks to their friggin incredible grasp of the handheld market. Without it Sony would actually be on top, Nintendo the bottom.

And yes. 2/3 of the 360 owners I know have had to replace their 360 at some point. One didn't even get it replaced, having to pay some kind of fee. Sold it on eBay as broke and now bought a PC instead.

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I would like to point out that raggedjimmi does not own a 360, for those of you who might be inclined to call him a "360/MS fanboy."

He put his money into a Wii+DS last I heard, but did own a PSP. He's not nearly as biased as his posts might make Sony advocates believe! :)

Just thought I'd throw that out there so nobody replies ignorantly.

17. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

The fact xbox 360 is made by microsoft does not bother anyone? There is a picture on the xbox website with a buy on a pc with stickers of windows and xbox. not a big fan of windows.

18. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

yeah trade it, especially since hte 20gb doesn't have hdmi

19. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

yeah so ? 360 doesnt come with windows :rolleyes:

I dont like windows terribly and dont own a windows pc, (i have 6 macs) but what has that got to do with a console. Absloutely nothing, its a ridiculous argument.

oh and in regards to 360's bricking. There are plenty of people on this forum with launch machines that have nothing wrong with them, myself included.

I'll still be buying a PS3 this year to compliment my Wii + 360, but would still recommend the OP wait and see if his GOW lust dissapears in a couple of weeks.

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

22. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Wait a second.......you are telling me it is a FACT of life(a universal truth), that there is absoulutely, positively NO reason to own a PS3 whatsoever?
    Now I've heard it all!

"more games" - If thats the case then why did anyone even bother buying an xbox?
    "cost less" - um....Wii costs the least amount.
    "hdtv" - Do you think PS3 requires an HDTV to use?
    (I owned my PS3 for almost a month before I got my HDTV - and still loved it)
    "online" - Thats more opinion.
    (if you are talking price, PS3 wins, if you are talking features, live wins)

Of course Live has more features, thats why you pay for it.....

You are absolutely right, I bought my PS3, and have had nothing to do since I got it.
    I sure wish Sony would release some games so I can turn it on and finally use it. /sarcasm

2006 Sales US NPD (this does NOT include December yet)
    DS - 3,706,792
    PS2 - 3,303,128
    360 - 2,786,716
    PSP - 2,080,450
    PS3 - 197,000 (one month)
    GC - 501,354
    Wii - 476,000 (one month)
    Xbox - 385,335

Sony 06 sales = 5,580,578
    Ninty 06 sales = 4,684,146
    MS 06 sales = 3,172,051

PS2 is still the top selling console(handhelds not included), in fact PS2 is owning the 360. So why even get a 360? Just get a Wii, and wait for a PS3 price drop.

You may forget about last-gen if you want, but you make the argument even more biased. Just because Ninty and MS have already abandoned their last gen systems, doesn't mean Sony has.....in fact Sony has stated they are going to battle the Wii with the PS2(which makes sense with their library and price point)

Thats probably the biggest justification to NOT get a 360, that fact that MS is at the bottom of sales doesn't help.......

Bottom Line: There are plenty of reasons to buy a PS3, just because you do not agree with those reasons, does not mean they are invalid.

23. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

but the ps3 is more expensive so in bizzarro world yes

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Why buy an Xbox? Because it has more games (did anyone lose a bike? I found a cycle). People buy new machines to upgrade. But whats this? The HD generation has been here for a whole year already! Again, the point of the PS3 fades away. It offers nothing more than what a fully kitted out 360 does AND the controller is new AND it rumbles.
    Yes Wii costs less, thats why it's doing tremendously well. Nintendo were in the same situation as Sony, but it died out for Sony. The demand for Wii is huge. I barely managed to get one myself almost a month after launch. Despite Nintendo releasing, how many until the years end? 4 million?
    Online opinion? Haha. So what does the PS3 offer above the 360 for an online service? Seriously, it is the best online system for a console right now. Okay you pay, how much do you pay extra for a PS3 again? :rolleyes:

Oh, and about abandoning consoles, Nintendo released the Gamecubes swan song in December, after the Wii launch no less.

25. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

regarding price of live - its the same as getting one game a year