Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
I offered a person to trade their Core Duo Mac Mini (1GB RAM, 80 GB HD) and 20" ACD for my stock 17" Core Duo iMac, and offered to upgrade my ram to 1.5 GB, and my 60GB iPod. On the recieveing end (i.e. the guy recieving my offer), would it be a good deal, or not?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
It would be a great deal for him. The iMac Core Duo is a great machine. Cost wise, it comes out about even, but performance wise, the iMac will kick the mac mini's ass.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
crazzyeddie said:
It would be a great deal for him. The iMac Core Duo is a great machine. Cost wise, it comes out about even, but performance wise, the iMac will kick the mac mini's ass.
Besides the Mini, I'm also looking to trade for a white 2.0GHz MacBook. I am in serious and desperate need of more portability, and I want it to be an Intel machine as my iMac is... What a situation I'm in!!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why would you trade a 17" iMac with Core Duo for a Mac Mini Core Duo + ACD???? Is it the size of the ACD (I'm assuming it's a 20" screen)???

Anyway, I'd try to get a MBP for the iMac if you want portability. I don't know how the Mac Mini would help you.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Abstract said:
Why would you trade a 17" iMac with Core Duo for a Mac Mini Core Duo + ACD???? Is it the size of the ACD (I'm assuming it's a 20" screen)???

Anyway, I'd try to get a MBP for the iMac if you want portability. I don't know how the Mac Mini would help you.

Would that even be a considerable trade for both parties?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
crazzyeddie said:
Cost wise, it comes out about even...
Not really. Perhaps if his iMac were a 20" instead of a 17", the cost would be similar.

Core Duo Mac mini - $800
20" ACD - $800
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - $80

Total package is about $1,680. Almost $400 more than a 17" iMac Core Duo and almost the exact same price as the 20" model. (This is, of course, before any hardware upgrades, but you get the idea.)

I'm not necessarily saying you would be getting a great deal in this trade, especially considering the difference in specs between the two machines. It just depends on what your individual needs and preferences are.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
someguy said:
Not really. Perhaps if his iMac were a 20" instead of a 17", the cost would be similar.

Core Duo Mac mini - $800
20" ACD - $800
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - $80

Total package is about $1,680. Almost $400 more than a 17" iMac Core Duo and almost the exact same price as the 20" model. (This is, of course, before any hardware upgrades, but you get the idea.)

I'm not necessarily saying you would be getting a great deal in this trade, especially considering the difference in specs between the two machines. It just depends on what your individual needs and preferences are.
I am also including my 60GB iPod... +399, so the price is a bout even;) .

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
kildraik said:
I am also including my 60GB iPod... +399, so the price is a bout even;) .
I see. I still think the other guy is getting the better end of the deal, personally. Maybe I'm just a huge iMac fan, though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.